4

The next month I was sat quietly with my mother, Uncle Jaime and younger siblings, bar Joffrey of course, eating a dry dull Winterfell breakfast.

"How much longer are we to stay?" I asked with an air of curiousity, Mother glanced at Uncle Jaime and smiled kindly.

"Not much longer" She responded and I didn't even reply, I only nodded.

A few more silent moments passed before my other uncle, Tyrion, wandered in and sad alongside Tommen, opposite myself and Myrcella.

He was rambling on about the food he wanted when Uncle Jaime greeted him.

"Little brother"

"Beloved siblings" Uncle Tyrion spoke almost sarcastically and I could tell my mother was aware and likely returned the gesture. But he ignored her and just began nicking food off of Tommen's plate, I enjoyed the company of my uncle unlike mother so I simply smiled and he winked at me.

"Is Bran going to die?" Myrcella asked quickly, I spun to face her and she was a picture of nerves and uncertainty.

"Apparently not" Uncle Tyrion replied, he had too been surprised by her outburst but she smiled at the news. Mother, however, did not.

"What do you mean?" She asked grimly, tilting her head ever so slightly.

Maester says the boy may live" Uncle Tyrion continued, I couldn't hide my smile at the thought but it was quickly dashed by the strange way my mother made eye contact with Uncle Jaime. I frowned and glanced back to my younger uncle who was gnawing on some more bacon and was completely oblivious.

"It's no mercy letting a child linger in such pain" Mother inputted and he just nodded knowingly.

"Only the gods know for certain" He added but he did seem rather hopeful.

"We should pray for him" I spoke up, all eyes turned to me as I'd been particularly quite that morning. "I hope the Starks won't mind if we go for a walk through their godswood?"

"I assume not" Uncle Tyrion responded, then there was a strange silence until he spoke again, "Charms of the North seem entirely lost on you" but Mother interrupted.

"I still can't believe you're going, it's ridiculous even for you" She muttered in disgust, I snapped my head up in confusion.

"Go where?" I asked, looking for Mother to Uncle Tyrion then back again.

"The Wall" She replied calmly and I felt my eyes widen.

"You'll be riding with Jon Snow?" I quizzed him and he nodded accordingly.

"I am, poor boy thinks his only way out is the nightwatch" He sighed, picking at Tommen's bacon again.

"It is" Mother scowled, "I cannot believe you wish to go all the way up there"

"Where's your sense of wonder? The greatest structure ever built, the intrepid men of the nightswatch, the wintry abode of the white walkers" He grinned, playing around with Tommen who was giggling away. I watched carefully, keeping my manners and posture like my mother taught me.

"Tell me you're not thinking of taking the black" Uncle Jaime joined the conversation and I raised my eyebrows, Uncle Tyrion couldn't take an oath against women if he was held at sword point.

"And go celibate?" Uncle Tyrion finished for his brother, "the whores would go begging from Dorne to Casterly Rock. No, I just want to stand on top of the wall and piss off the edge of the world"

I suddenly felt a wave of uncomfortableness in the conversation, most of the time I endured Uncle Tyrion's strange comments but with Bran so injured and my conflicting feelings about going back home, I couldn't quite manage it today. But my siblings found him most amusing and again Mother most certainly did not.

"Children don't need to hear your filth" She scowled, then she turned to us and stood up, "come"

Myrcella and Tommen followed her out the room quickly but I stayed and picked at the bowl of fruit in front of me, listening to my uncles conversation.

"Even if the boy lives, he'll be a cripple" Uncle Jaime continued, "grotesque. give me a good clean death any day"

I could feel my blood begin to boil ever so slightly so I stabbed a slice of apple with my fork and kept listening.

"Speaking for the grotesques, I'd have to disagree. Death is so final whereas life, life is full of possibilities. I hope the boy does wake, I'd be very interested to hear what he has to say" Uncle Tyrion replied bluntly.

I couldn't listen any longer, I jumped up from my seat and began to walk away from the table angrily.

"Lya?" Uncle Jaime piped up before I could leave the room, I turned quickly and let my hair swish over my shoulder.

"I cannot believe you are talking about a child's life in this manner, especially a child like Bran who could never be grotesque, he is kind and sweet and lovely. He will wake because he is a good person. He didn't deserve this" I retorted, watching both their faces contort in shock, I was usually so poised like my mother but I couldn't help myself when I knew how lovely the boy was and how much his family loved him.

With that, I left the room and attempted to ignore my uncles for the remainder of the day.