61

The next morning, I rode towards the back of the group, ready to peel off when the time came. Everyone was silent, no one really knew what to say, at least I couldn't think of anything. 

Winterfell loomed in the distance and I felt the tension rise, both Jon and Sansa were staring at their home wistfully. But their gazes soon fell upon the group riding towards us, my horse backed up quickly. Ser Davos was just in front of me, he turned briefly and nodded, it was time for me to go.

I pulled my hood up and turn my horse around before taking off in the opposite direction, flying over the hill and down the other side, out of sight. As I slid off my horse, I could hear the sound of hooves coming closer until they finally stopped. Ramsay.

My horse, who I needed to give a name, waited patiently as I cautiously climbed back up the slope so I could peer over at the discussions. It was entirely pointless, I couldn't hear a thing but I could read expressions sort of, Ramsay was just as slimy as I remembered him to be but I could see flickers of frustration every few moments. 

They spoke for some time before one of the horses turned and bolted towards me, I almost fell down the slope in fear. It was only Sansa, I realised that far too late and felt foolish but she flew over the hill as I had earlier and came to a stop alongside my own steed. 

She looked livid, jumping off her horse and pacing back of forth.

"What happened?" I asked calmly, stroking her horse gently.

"It doesn't matter, we're going home tomorrow" She told me between paces, I decided to let her get it out her system and crawled back over the hill to watch the end of the discussions.

"They're coming back" I slid down to the floor and hauled myself back onto my horse as they came over the hill.

Jon stopped for a moment beside me, his face was grim and that was all I needed to know, so we rode back to camp as fast as possible. 

***********************************************************************************************

"If he was smart, he'd stay inside the walls of Winterfell and wait us out" Jon explained, they were all gathered around a map, planning the next day. I had decided to keep my distance and was lounging quite comfortably on a chair in the corner.

"That's not his way" Ser Davos interjected and he was right, "He knows the North is watching, if the other houses sense weakness on his part, they'll stop fearing him. He can't have that, fear is his power"

"Its his weakness too" Jon added, "His men don't want to fight for him, they're forced to fight for him, if they feel the tide turning-"

"Its not the men that worry me" Tormund interrupted, "Its his horses. I know what mounted knights can do to us. You and Stannis cut through us like piss through snow"

"We're digging trenches all along our flanks, they wont be able to hit us the way that Stannis hit you, in a double envelopment" Jon replied and for a brief moment the two men just stared at each other, "A pincer move. They won't be able to hit us from the sides", he explained.

"Good" Tormund grunted.

"Its crucial we let them charge at us" Ser Davos continued, "They've got the numbers, we need the patience", I felt myself nod slowly.

Jon circled the table, just as a cold chill raced through and I wrapped my cloak closer around myself.

"If we let him buckle our centre, then we'll have him surrounded on three sides" Ser Davos continued, as Tormund twisted to whisper something to Jon, I turned away and watched the snow falling outside.

"I want him coming at us full tilt" Jon announced, gaining odd looks from both Davos and Sansa.

"We should all get some sleep" Ser Davos told us and everyone began to depart, I stood and made my way to the exit, holding my arm out for Sansa but she remained rooted to the spot.

"Sansa" I murmured to get her attention but she was deep in thought, watching Jon as he sat down in the corner. I nodded and left the tent, standing just to the side where the cold breeze was cut off.

After a while I heard raised voices but resisted the urge to go in and calm it down, they were both scared, I was scared, and it was the fear that was causing the tension.

Once the voices died down, Sansa stepped out, her face unreadable but she took my outstretched arm and together we went back to our tent to get some rest.

It wasn't much rest as the horns began before dawn.