16

On the day of the tournament I was on a hunt, in silence I let Marin dress me in my new dress which felt just like the cherry on top. Not only was I going to accuse my own father of destroying our family, I was going to rebel against all fashion statements in Kings Landing, wouldn't get me in trouble but it would get me noticed.

"Here" Marin offered me a necklace, I looked at in confusion.

"What's this?" I asked, it was truly beautiful but it wasn't mine, it was a long golden chain with a coin on the end, I lifted it up to my eye and smiled, it was our family crest, the Lannister Lion and the Baratheon crowned Stag.

"A gift from your mother" Marin told me with a look of uncertainty, "Is she apologising for something?"

"She's preparing me" I reminded her with a smile, my reflection followed suit, I handed it back and she put it on me easily, the coin settled perfectly wear my chest puffed out.

"For this?" She grinned, brandishing a letter that was addressed to her and I almost fell over with excitement.

"From the North?" I asked expectantly and she nodded, thrusting it at me impatiently.

As I reached for the letter knife, the clock tower chimed and I jumped out of my skin.

"I have to go! Hold onto it" I pushed the letter back into Marin's hands, "I need to speak with my father before the tournament but I'll read it tomorrow with you!"

She watched in confusion as I took off out the room, taking one last look at myself before I went. Instead of adopting the Kings Landing hairstyle that was floating around, I had Marin pin up the top in an elegant crown of twists and braids, the ends curled beautifully and flowed perfectly down my back. Marin was talented, there wasn't a single hair out of place.

I was aware of how early I was but I knew that my father would be preparing in a tent behind the tournament, so when I arrived I slipped through the opening and hid behind a few crates. Figuring what I was going to say wasn't the problem, deciding how I wanted to say it was hard, he was my father but he was also the king. He couldn't hurt me but he could refuse my betrothal to Robb or send me away forever, he was unpredictable when angry.

His voice drifted over from the centre of the tent, he was talking to his squire who left to fetch something so I took my window and walked past the squire confidently, approaching my father.

"Lya?" He grumbled, setting down his goblet of wine, he was dressed but without his armour, that went on last. "Mighty early for you to be out and about"

"I came to talk" I stated, he looked me up and down with a smirk.

"About your betrothal? I spoke to Ned, but by the looks of it you're trying to catch the eye of someone else?" He chuckled, retrieving his drink and pouring it unceremoniously down his throat.

"Yes" I paused, thinking carefully, "Someone"

"Looks like it might be the Martell boy then? What happened to your love of the North?" He snorted, filling his goblet and taking another loud slurp.

"I'm not here to talk about my marriage" I told him, stepping to my right a little, away from the entrance and anyone who might be listening. "I'm here to talk about yours"

His face contorted then he dropped his drink, doubling over and laughing uncontrollably, I tried to hard to keep myself in control but I frowned and opened my mouth then closed it again, unsure how to continue.

"My marriage?" He wheezed, "You are a bold one aren't you?"

"How long have you been disloyal to my mother?" I demanded, a new surge of confidence flowing through me after seeing his absurd reaction to my question.

His laughter ceased, but he didn't look angry at all, just slightly put out.

"I know the truth" I scowled, "The people talk"

"When have you been talking to the people?" He muttered, taking a new goblet and filling it up, ignoring the mess he made for some poor made to clean up.

"You have your duties as king and I have mine as your child" I reminded him, "I must keep up appearances"

"Hm" He sighed, "Appearances", he looked me up and down, "I can see how they're important"

"You think I'd sit back and watch our family fall into disrepair?" I jabbed at him but nothing I said seemed to surprise him at all.

"Calm yourself, child, this family has never seen repair" He chuckled, "I may not be loyal but your mother isn't the saint you paint her to be"

"She is loyal to you"

"I'm not talking of loyalty" He told me, "This isn't your concern, Lya"

"This is my family too" I insisted, he sighed and settled himself into a strong chair.

"And you kept it together for a short time" Father recalled, I frowned and took the seat opposite him quickly, "Your birth, she was so happy with you and me but when she had your siblings? It was all different so we stayed away from one another. Do you know I spent a month fighting with her to name you Lya?"

"Why?" I asked curiously, why would my father risk his entire marriage on a name?

"Your mother wanted to name you Joanna but I insisted, the name came from an" He paused, taking a long drink, "An old friend, Lyanna"

An old lover, I assumed but continued to listen intently.

"She died but I wanted to honour her" He drank more, "Your mother wouldn't use your name for a whole year"

"I see why" I whispered, my father never loved my mother in the way he loved this woman, my namesake.

"I know the laws" He changed his tone, "I know Joffrey takes the crown but I wish it was you"

"Father" I started, I always assumed he saw me as an object to be sent away, to get him more power or more money and now he's telling me he wishes I could be Queen?

"You're far more level headed and even tempered then him" Father chuckled lightly, "If only things were different", he dropped his hand on mine in a fatherly gesture, something he hadn't done in many years.

He looked me over again, I could see the glassy look of alcohol in his eyes but the sentiment remained, he never looked at me like that, with pride.

"Besides, you're the only one that looks the part" He pointed at my hair with a laugh, I giggled too but my built up emotions got the better of me and I sniffed them back sadly. "You do look beautiful"

"Thank you, Father" I smiled, my heart bursting with something new, I woke up that morning hating him so much my blood felt like fire but now, now I was sat before him and he was telling me the drunken truth, I couldn't help but feel love for him.

"I gave Ned my blessing, you're betrothed to Robb Stark and I wish you every happiness" He told me and I stood up in surprise.

"I'm going to marry Robb Stark?" I exclaimed and he nodded, gulping his wine again but this time I knocked it over, giving him the first hug in probably a decade.

When I pulled away, he was smiling as well, "Go out there and enjoy the day, Lya"

"I will" I went to the entrance, "I most definitely will" and I left with the biggest grin on my face, one might think I was already married but this was better than that, I was one step closer to freedom