54

OK it has been a hot minute I apologise but I did forget but I'm here and I'm inspired and have no more assignments so let's get going.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I waited, as I promised.

Time felt like it had slowed down to a crawl since he left the room, which had too grown cold. I had tried to distract myself, flicking through some books, picking wood splinters off the floorboards and throwing them across the room like a child.

Something told me he had too been distracted, but when I finally stood up and went over to the door, a bell sounded from the gate. My heart sank like a rock. Soldiers? Lannister, Bolton, even Baratheon? I launched myself to the window and crouched down so I could witness the scene.

They were no soldiers.

Three horses stepped through baring two women and a young man. I squinted to catch a glance of their faces but only when the smaller girl climbed down from her horse and lowered her hood did I stifle a horrified gasp.

Sansa, Lady Bolton. Lady Stark. The rightful Lady of Winterfell.

I collapsed backwards, she was safe but she was here. How could I ever explain why I left her there, why I never went back, I clamped a hand over my mouth and let out a choked sob.

Once I could muster the courage, I glanced back out the window only to witness Sansa engulf Jon in a hug. She was safe here and I could hide from her forever.

Slowly, I climbed off the floor and brushed the dust off my dress and tears off my face then headed for the stairs calmly.

I got to the top of the stairs when she finally released Jon and her eyes fell on me, it felt like each step I took was ringing out across the courtyard and everyone was watching me closely. Even Jon was watching me carefully, he had no idea what I had known and I should've told him.

"Sansa" I murmured once in distance and mentally braced for her reaction, anger, fear, betrayal, I deserved it all. But instead-

She again threw her arms around me this time and clung on, as tall as she had become, she still felt like the little girl I met in Winterfell.

"I'm sorry" I whispered when no one would hear, she breathed calmly.

"You're safe" Was her response, but I understood and so did she.

I allowed Jon to take her inside and warm her up, I went and met the two companions she had arrived with, both had dismounted and were waiting patiently.

"Good evening" I smiled, "Thank you, for bringing her here safely"

"It was my honour, princess" The woman, who was incredibly tall and dressed from head to toe in armour, tipped her head respectfully.

"Please, I have no title here" I assured her, "What do they call you?"

"Brienne of Tarth" She stated plainly and I smiled kindly, tipping my own head to her as well.

"And you?" I turned to her companion, the young man who grew flustered and slightly pink.

"Podrick" Brienne answered for him, "Payne"

"Can I bring you inside for something warm?" I asked, letting them follow me inside.

Once everyone was settled, I aimed to return to my own room when I realised I actually never had my own room so I found myself standing hopelessly lost in the hallway.

I padded back to the room I knew and softly knocked on the door, it seemed I was always knocking on someone else's door, never having my own space.

Jon opened and sighed with a smile, I returned it hesitantly.

"I'm afraid I have no room to go back to" I informed him and he opened his mouth then closed it again, unsure of what to say.

"Here" He tried to step past me, "Take this room"

"No!" I cried a little too loud, "This is the Lord Commanders room, your room"

"I'm not Lord Commander anymore" He reminded me and I chewed my lip.

"I just wanted to know where I could find an empty one" I concluded, letting him step back into his room and take my hand, gently guiding me inside and closing the door.

"Stay here" He stated, his eyes never leaving mine.

I searched for the words, "I can't" I murmured with a glance to the bed.

"Just with me," He assured, "Nothing ungallant" he added with a chuckle.

"Very well" I agreed, to which he took my face in his hand and leaned down but I leaned back with raised eyebrows.

"Can't I?" He frowned, looking put out.

"Alright, just one" I smiled and caught him halfway for a short but passionate kiss but once I pulled away, a thought pierced my happiness.

"I need to tell you something" I announced, his hand fell from my face and he nodded.

"Alright"

"before I arrived here, I was in a tavern on the Kingsroad when I was attacked, ambushed and my companion was killed"

"Companion?" Jon looked surprised.

"my travelling companion was killed and I was taken captive with the intent to take me back to my mother. but first they took me to Winterfell and kept me there for several days"

"You were in Winterfell?" He practically gasped in shock, understanding the crossover.

" I was yes but I didn't know and once I did, there was nothing I could do and nothing I could've done. just as they prepared to take me back, they had me chained to a horse, I was trapped that was when they brought her out, the first time I saw her. I screamed, I begged but they wouldn't let her go and wouldn't let me see her, talk to her but I tried, I really tried"

I slowly began to sob, but Jon just watched me tell my story patiently.

" even when I escaped then I wanted to go back, I wanted to save her but all I had was a compass. I followed it north and I followed it here. if I went back, they would've killed me  and killed her, I didn't have a choice. I'm sorry" I almost collapsed but he caught me into a hug.

"You should've told me" was his response.

"When?" I sobbed, clutching at his shirt, "I arrived and you died, you've been alive for less than a day but I tried, I honestly tried and I wanted to"

"Shh" He calmed me, taking me to the bed and sitting me down, "I know and I'm sorry, she's safe, you're safe"

"And so are you" I whispered, looking up into his dark eyes again, he stopped what he was about to say and leaned down, not to kiss me but to touch his forehead to mine, to comfort me.

We stayed like that for a while until I grew tired and then we slept like that too, connected by just a small space of flesh yet so attached to each other.

Safe.