18

Later that evening, I finally opened my letter from Robb Stark:

Dearest Lya,

I have spoken to my father and it is finalised, when you come of age you will come to Winterfell and we will be wed. That day couldn't come sooner but we must wait.

I hope all is well, I can't write much, being acting Lord of Winterfell is taking up much of my time, I didn't realise how much my father had to do, one day we will do it together and that will make it a pleasure instead of a chore.

Until I see you again,
Your Robb.

I set the letter down and sighed, it wouldn't be long until I was considered old enough to marry and would be shipped off to the North with the biggest smile on my face, just as I slipped the letter behind the tile on my wall, a knock sounded at my door.

"Come in" I announced, settling down on my long chair, my mother waltzed in and I had to stop from grinding my teeth.

"Good evening, darling" She perched gently on the edge of my bed, "Your father insists all of us attend dinner tonight", for the last couple days I had been taking my meals with Marin on my balcony, avoiding my family as best I could.

"Of course" I stood an fixed my skirts, "Marin will return your gown when its clean"

"You can keep it" Mother replied, standing up and coming closer to me, "He has some news that you all should know"

"I will be there" I told her again, collecting my jewellery and fitting my rings, draping my necklace over my chest, she looked at the pendant with a smile.

"I had that made specially for you" She informed me, "An engagement present"

"Thank you" I responded, clamping my bracelets over my wrists, "I'll see you at dinner"

"Very well" She smiled, placing a hand on my shoulder kindly and squeezing it.

I looked up at my reflection after she left, everything about me was my mother and I scowled, my hair and my eyes were my fathers but everything else was her, down to the way my hair was styled and the design of my dress. In one swift movement, I released my hair and it felt about my shoulders in soft curls, I held onto that little piece of me that was embedded in the features that belonged to everyone else.

When I arrived at the table, everyone was silent and I was last of course. Mother and Father were sipping their wine, making eye contact then looking away.

"Mother said you had news?" I piped up, pushing the meat around my plate, too curious to eat.

"Lord Stark is returning to Winterfell" Father stated, "He is no longer Hand of the King", my heart started beating faster, was I returning to the North already? Is that what they were telling me?

"Why?" I acted ignorant, looking between them and willing someone to say something.

"He didn't support his king" Mother told me, "Then resigned his post when called into question about his loyalty"

"He wouldn't go to the full extent to protect his king" Father added with a scowl, "Protect this reign"

"What's threatening the reign?" I pushed further, taking a sip of my own wine.

"The whore Targaryen princess" Father responded, "She's pregnant"

Daenerys Targaryen married the Dothraki Khal Drogo in an attempt for her brother Viserys to retake the iron throne, if she had a son? Chaos would ensue.

"And you wanted to kill her?" I asked, my eyes widening, I knew my parents would do anything to protect their positions but kill a girl and her unborn child? It was unimaginable.

"Kill them all" Joffrey scowled, jabbing a knife in my direction, "No one should have a claim to the throne but us."

"Exactly" Mother whispered, "Lord Stark didn't agree",

"Of course he didn't!" I exclaimed, "He is a good man, he wouldn't authorise the killing of Daenerys Targaryen and her baby!"

"Not just them, Viserys too" Mother put in, "He wouldn't even kill him"

I sat back in defeat, "So he's leaving?"

"Yes, running back to Winterfell like a coward" Father grumbled, shovelling food into his mouth like a child.

"Is Sansa going?" I questioned, leaning forward again in curiosity, "She is going to marry Joffrey after all, it would be silly for her to leave only to return"

"You just want to know if you're going to Winterfell with the Starks!" Joffrey poked and I glared at him with all the fire I could muster.

"I am officially betrothed to Robb Stark, it would make sense" I retorted, both Myrcella and Tommen looked over at me with sadness in their eyes, "You would be visit", I whispered with a smile.

"You will remain here" Mother demanded, setting her glass down with the thud, "There is no requirement for you to go before you are married"

"Mother!" I began but she held up a hand.

"You will stay here, Lya" She said forcefully, "And that is final"

"How will I marry him if I am here?" I fought back, she narrowed her eyes at me.

"What is the matter with you?" Mother asked, frowning angrily at me, she was right though, I rarely ever fought her decisions but I couldn't let this one go.

"I'm trying to save my betrothal!" I insisted and she almost laughed, before she could respond, Joffrey joined in, to my distain.

"Perhaps marrying her to Viserys Targaryen would tide him over?" He laughed and I set my jaw angrily, he would do anything to make me miserable.

"Ending our engagement now would only cause more problems!" I put in, Joffrey tried to shoot another insult but Father shut down the argument.

"Enough!" He bellowed, "The engagement remains and so do you, Lya, Sansa will return with her father as she is not properly engaged to Joffrey, she has no reason to stay here and that is that"

We all fell silent, I felt Joffrey's glare but I avoided any contact with him for the rest of the meal and it stayed that way until a messenger came flying in and whispered in my fathers ear, his eyes widened.

"What is it?" Mother asked in confusion.

"Ned was ambushed, he's being brought back to the Keep but he's badly injured" Father stood and left the table, I let my mouth fall open just a little in concern.

Lord Stark tried to do the right thing and he was ambushed, my mind drifted away for a second as I considered all the possibilities, who told the guards to ambush him? If it wasn't my father? I glanced over at my mother who sipped her wine gracefully, I kept my face clear of any accusation but I couldn't sit there any longer so I pushed back my chair loudly and followed my fathers lead, abandoning the dinner entirely.