49

It wasn't long until others became aware of what had occurred, I could hear the sounds of scratching and then footsteps. I turned to see a man whom I recognised as Ser Davos Seaworth, I had met him many years ago, when I was a little girl.

Firstly, he was startled to see me, stepping back in confusion, then coming closer to see the body that I was sat beside. I had dropped back to sit on my heels, letting my hands sit in the blood soaked snow that surrounded me.

Other voices became louder and I finally looked up to see what Jon had stopped and stared at before he was killed.

The sign before us, the words traitor were etched into the wood. Even Ser Davos looked up at it in a solemn silence, neither of us said a thing as the other men who were loyal to Jon appeared and gasped at what lay before them.

"Help me get him inside" Ser Davos asked, leaning forward to offer me a hand and I took it, letting him help me to my feet and offer me his cloak, I shook my head and just hugged my arms closer to me.

They all came forward to lift their Lord Commander inside, Ser Davos hung back with me, letting the others do the heavy lifting.

"Princess" He tipped his head in respect but I met his eye with a shiver.

"I'm no princess, Ser Davos" I responded bluntly, following the others inside and leaving him in the courtyard, stunned into silence.

I slipped in and watched them lay his unmoving body on the table they cleared, everyone just stood in shock at what had happened.

The sound of a door locking made me jump and I felt my heart beat faster, my breathing sharpened, but Ser Davos laid a warm hand on my arm and gave me an understanding look.

One of the other men had laid his hand on the stab wounds on Jon's middle, drawing his hand back and looking at the blood. He used his other to gently close the Lord Commanders eyes.

"Throne did this" He spat and the other men seemed to agree, I still hung back in the darkness and remained silent, hoping my presence would go undetected and for the most part, it did.

Ser Davos stepped away from me after I crumpled into a seat in the corner, "How many of your brothers do you think you can trust?", he asked the loyal man.

"Trust?" He barked, "The men in this room", he glanced around and landed on me, I looked down and he continued on.

"Does the wolf know you?" Ser Davos asked and they all looked around in confusion.

Before anyone could answer, I stood, "He knows me"

They all glanced at me, including Davos who nodded, "We need all the help we can get"

I stepped towards the door but a knock sounded and the men drew their swords, Ser Davos stuck out an arm and pulled me gently away from the door, behind him.

"Ser Davos" A woman's voice came from outside and my eyes widened in surprise.

Everyone looked at the older man who nodded, his brows drawn together in deep thought, they sheathed their swords and opened the door.

A woman entered, dressed from head to toe in red with long scarlet hair, she ignored everyone and went straight to the body in the centre of the room, her face pinched in concern.

"I saw him in the flames" She whispered, "Fighting in Winterfell", I watched her face as she thought, described what she had seen and I had so many questions about Winterfell and what fight she saw.

"I can't speak for the flames, but he's gone" Ser Davos told her, she just caressed Jon's cold pale face, gently drawing her hand across.

Hours past and the others insisted that myself and Melisandre, Ser Davos introduced me, stay inside and away from the others.

It felt like torture, being beside Jon's corpse and not allowed to leave, Melisandre seemed to just mumble to herself or pace. Eventually I gave up and shoved past the man guarding the door and he went to stop me but I glared at him and he stood aside.

I followed the sounds of shouting and found myself in the doorway of a large meeting room where everyone was shouting insults: traitor, murderer.

No one clocked me except one of the men loyal to Eddison, the man who was killed truly distraught over Jon's murder. He stepped through the crowd towards me and I stepped further into it, away from him, determined to hear out those who killed my friend.

I managed to catch the second part of his speech, "Jon Snow was going to destroy the Night's Watch, he led the wildings through our gate, as no Lord Commander has ever done before, he them the very land on which they reaved and raped and murdered. Lord Commander Snow did what he thought was right, I've not doubt about that, and what he thought was right would have been the end of us. He thrust a terrible choice upon us and we made it!"

"Coward" I said into the silence, the man, Thorne snapped up his head to glare out into the crowd, I didn't hide my face or walk away, I waited for him to see me.

"Princess" The loyalist reached me and was whispering in my ear, "It's not safe"

"What did you say?" The man growled.

"I called you a coward!" I spat the last word, emphasising it, "You killed a good man", I shouted, stepping forward but the loyalist grabbed me by the waist and with the help of another, they carried me out the room and back to where Melisandre and Jon's body were. I heard shouts and insults as I was taken away, foul and degrading terms used to describe a woman. Once set down, the men just walked away and slammed the door.

"Princess" Melisandre repeated the stupid term that the loyalist used on me, "It's not the time"

"I am not a princess" I hissed, grabbing a cup and launching it across the room, "I want to get out of here! I need to get past this awful wall and away from all of this!"

Melisandre stepped aside and it wasn't a human that came towards me, it was a wolf, a direwolf, Ghost.

"Ghost" I murmured, slumping to the floor and letting him put his head into my hands, I rested on my chin on his fluffy white fur. I could feel his pain radiating from him, I joined him in his mourning.