15

I got myself to the blacksmiths by around midday, it's seems I'd managed to run into every person I'd ever known on my way out the Keep but I'd gotten there unscathed and ready for questioning.

"Hello?" I announced myself, stepping into the blacksmiths, careful not to touch anything that looked hot or expensive.

"Can I help?" A bored voice sounded, he was an older man that had his back to me.

"Yes, are you Tobho Mott?" I asked as kindly as I could, he paused what he was doing and turned around, frowning. Then realisation struck and he almost collapsed, bowing a little then wiping his face with a cloth, brushing down his clothes as well.

"Your grace! What an honour!" He exclaimed, "What brings you here?"

"I'm here to ask a question about the former Hand of the King? Jon Arryn?" I mentioned calmly, pulling down the hood of my cloak, no point hiding my identity anymore, he really didn't need to shout about it.

"The former hand did call on me, your grace, several times" He replied easily, using the cloth now to pat sweat from his neck, it was awfully warm as I soon realised, "regret to say he did not honour me with his patronage"

"What did Lord Arryn want?" I continued, briefly catching the eye of the boy behind Mott, he looked away quickly, I couldn't tell if he was blushing or it was just the heat.

"He always came to see the boy, your grace" Mott stated plainly, I looked past him again at the boy with a frown.

"Then I'd like to see him as well" I requested, the blacksmith stepped aside and gestured to the boy.

"As you wish, your grace", He changed his tone quickly when he addressed the boy, "Gendry!"

Gendry chucked down his tools with a look of distain then came out from behind the fire.

"There he is!" Mott received him, placing an arm around his shoulders, smiling, "Strong for his age! Works hard. Show the princess the helmet you made, lad"

I watched intently as he stumbled a little and turned away to fetch something, he looked as if he wished to be anywhere else. He fetched the helmet and brought it over, offering it to me, I took it with a gentle nod and looked it over.

"This is lovely" I told him, turning it over in my hands, the horns were perfectly crafted, he had a gift.

"It's not for sale" He stated, I wanted to laugh but I knew it improper, what would I do with a helmet? Give it as a gift to my rotten brother?

"Boy this is the daughter of the King! The princess! If her grace wants it-" The boy cut him off immediately.

"I made it for me" Gendry grumbled, looking like he was about to snatch it from me.

"Forgive him, your grace" The blacksmith almost begged, looking bewildered.

"There's absolutely nothing to forgive" I chuckled lightly, "You should be proud"

"I am" He replied bluntly, shifting his weight a little uneasily.

"When Lord Arryn came to visit you, what did you talk about?" I asked subtly, focusing my sight on the helmet instead, making myself look less interested then I really was.

"Just asked me questions is all, your grace" Gendry responded, folding his hands in front of him, he wasn't nervous but he didn't like me at all.

"What kind of questions?" I pressed further, Jon knew something important and Gendry may know it too.

The blacksmith nodded before the boy replied, I couldn't tell if he was giving him permission to talk, or to lie. "About my work, first, if I was being treated well, if I liked it here", he sniffed, "Then, he started asking me about my mother"

"Your mother?" I continued, trying to catch his eye but he wouldn't look at me, something told me this conversation was going to a place where a woman shouldn't go, but I was their princess, I wasn't going without the truth.

"Who she was, what she looked like"

"What did you tell him?"

"She died when I was little" He looked away and I felt instant sorrow for the boy, "She had yellow hair, she'd sing to me sometimes"

Then something struck me, I looked closer at the boy.

"Look at me a moment" I asked kindly, he looked up at me through his lashes and my throat closed up.

All I could see in him was myself, the eyes, the hair, the attitude, the everything. How it took me so long to notice when I'd been practically talking to myself for the past few minutes. He looked confused but I was far from it.

Gendry was my half-brother.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
As soon as I got out the blacksmiths, I ran back to the Keep and didn't care who saw me. When I got to the Tower of the Hand, I yanked the door but it didn't open. Something was wrong, I looked down and saw the little mechanism. My mother instructed them to put a lock on the Tower of the Hand? With a loud scowl I looked around like a crazy person, I was stressed and needed to tell someone what I knew.

To the left was a large vase filled with dirt and a plant, I ran over and picked it up then tossed it against a pillar. Instantly I heard footsteps, I found a pieced with a short flat edge and fitted it to the mechanism, twisting it until it clicked. Launching the stray piece at the wall, I hauled open the door and ran through, slamming it and locking it.

When I got to the office, I banged on the door and Lord Stark called from inside.

"Ah, your grace" He greeted me but I waved him off, standing in the centre of the room with my hands on my hips, breathing in and out quickly. "What did you find?"

"The boy" I breathed out heavily, "Lord Arryn was visiting the blacksmiths apprentice!"

"Why?" He stood, leaning on the table heavily.

"He figured it out." My voice wobbled and my eyes filled with tears, "The boy is my fathers bastard! He's my brother!" I held back from shouting.

"I should've known" He looked down, "Robert was never subtle"

"How could he do this to my mother?" I cried, "That boy is my brother! He thinks he's an orphan!"

"Take a seat" Lord Stark offered but I stepped back.

"I can't stay here" I exclaimed, "surrounded by these lies and these liars!"

"Your grace" Lord Stark warned, I walked back a few paces again, towards the door.

"What am I still doing here?" I wailed, staggering to the door and pushing through it and practically falling down the stairs and into the door. I slammed my hands against it before remembering the lock, I almost broke it off as I fell out the tower and into the hall.

A maid was cleaning up the vase, I glanced down at her but ultimately ignored her and kept running to the only way I could think of getting back to my room.

When I got there, I stood for a moment before grabbing everything I could break and throwing it at the walls, at the mirrors until I stood in a pit of broken glass and splintered wood. Then I went to my bed, tearing open the pillows and letting the feathers float around and ripping the fabric into shreds until I finally ran out of energy and collapsed onto the mattress in tears.

That was where I stayed all night, Marin showed up but I sent her away and thankfully it was dark so she couldn't see the mess I'd made. I felt broken and betrayed, why I ever thought my father was true to my mother was insane, he was a foul man.

But I was related to that foul man...