13

When Lord Stark returned, I was still there at his desk, flicking aimlessly through papers that meant nothing to me. However, I did form a little stack on the floor of things I would read later, details of small revolutionaries in all the Seven Kingdoms. All the papers regarding money and material things I ignored, wouldn't my mother be proud of my ignorance to things that mattered.

"Your grace" He announced, slightly startled at my continued presence, I looked up and raised my eyebrows expectantly. I quickly noticed the book in his arms and waited for him to acknowledge it first.

"Lord Stark" I returned the gesture and stood, he tipped his head in my direction but I ignored it, instead I followed the desk round and seated myself on the other side, flicking out my hand as if to tell him he could have his seat back. Without missing a beat, he followed through and sat down, silence ensued.

When he finally spoke, I snapped to attention, "I spoke further to Grand Maester Pycelle"

"Did you learn about the book?" I sat up straighter, resting my hands on the desk and bringing the chair closer with me.

"I did" He sighed, "It was The Lineage and Histories of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms", setting down the book in the centre of the desk, I didn't take a second look at it, there wasn't anything in there that would tell us how he died.

"He was reading about the great houses? Why?" I inquired, I'd seen the book before but never read it as I didn't see any use in reading a book about a bunch of boring dead people. I only read about the exciting dead people.

"Pycelle didn't know" Stark continued, "But he did say one thing: the seed is strong"

"Well that makes no sense" I sighed, leaning back in defeat.

"I put the idea of poison in his head" He added, his eyes burning holes into the book in front of us.

"Did he seem intrigued?"

"He thought it impossible, Jon Arryn was adored by everyone "

"Then who did he think it could be?"

"Poison is a women's weapon, everyone knows that" He grumbled, I looked down sadly, no one believed we were more capable of anything else.

"So if someone did poison him" I did the calculations in my head, there wasn't much to work out though, "It would be a woman?" I paused in realisation, "My mother?"

"Pycelle mistrusts Lord Varys" Lord Stark put in, I narrowed my eyes, everyone knew the truth about Varys and there was no denying it but also his place on the council as the Master of Whispers? Varys knew everything about everyone. "Due to his status"

"I see. But the seed is strong? Sounds curious"

"Curious indeed" He responded, "I shall need to look further, you should go about your day as normal"

"I don't have much to do" I scowled, "I want to help Lord Arryn, he was kind to me when I felt so lost"

"He was a good man that didn't deserve to die, I will find out what happened, your grace, but you cannot be found to be involved, I wouldn't want you punished" He told me and I nodded slowly, thinking of all my options.

"Very well, tell me what you find" I stood to leave, "Don't tell my mother"

"I wouldn't dare"

And with that I disappeared down the stairs and slipped back into my own chambers.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A couple days passed before I heard from Lord Stark again, in the meantime I'd minded my business, watched them build the structures for the tournament, got fitted for my finished gown and was very pleased with it but I also had a most curious encounter with one of the Kingsguard.

Ser Hordan Redwyne had been following me closely the day after my visit with Lord Stark, originally I had been frightened that my mother was keeping a closer watch on me or perhaps Varys. But when I confronted him I was faced with an entirely different explanation.

"Stop" I turned and jabbed a finger in the direction I knew he was hiding, the knight stepped into the door frame, his symbolic white cloak catching the mid morning sun.

"Your grace" He tipped his head in respect but I didn't care for his respect, I cared to be left alone.

"You've been following me and I think I deserve an explanation" I stalked up to him and stood merely inches away, glaring up at him. I knew of his heritage and his house, it wasn't exactly subtle, House Redwyne was a noble house from the Reach like House Tyrell. Ser Hordan was actually a cousin of House Tyrell, the eldest son of Paxter Redwyne and Mina Tyrell brother, clearly noted by his dark ginger hair and light freckles. Unlike his brothers who were short and stocky with bright fiery hair and faces full of freckles, he was tall and lean with much subtler features. 

"An explanation?" He questioned with a frown, I rolled my eyes and stepped closer.

"Yes" I scowled, "Tell me why you're following me or there are a million ways I can have you punished"

"Out of concern, your grace" Ser Hordan replied calmly, ignoring my threats as if they were never there.

"Concern? Whose concern? My mother?"

"My own" He added, not meeting my eye, just looking straight forward.

"You're concerned about me?" I glanced around suddenly, seeing people tending to the gardens or servants with trays, anyone could be listening so I stepped into a small room on the side of the corridor, an unused sitting room I assumed.

"I am one of the guards who watches over Prince Joffrey" He told me quietly and I realised exactly what he was thinking.

"What has my brother planned for me then when he becomes king?" I questioned with an almost sarcastic tone.

"Not when he becomes king, now" Ser Hordan continued, "He knows of your desire to wed Robb Stark and he wishes to find any excuse to make it not happen"

"Why? Why is he so intent on making me unhappy?" I almost exploded, "Why can't he just let me go and be done with it?"

"He wants to humiliate you, marry you to Walder Frey or a low born, force you to live an uncomfortable life" The knight recounted what he had heard and I felt sick to my stomach.

"He said that?"

"He plans to convince your father, you grace, or even your mother"

"My mother won't listen but my father maybe, I have to have this business with Robb Stark sorted sooner than I would've hoped" I sighed, heading for the door, "Thank you, Ser Hordan, you've saved my life today"

He smiled courteously, "My pleasure, your grace" and with that, I took off down the halls, determined to fix my betrothal before Joffrey had a chance to ruin my life again.