56

The next days were spent planning, calculating and predicting; sadly I had no part to play in that so I spent my days in the small library that was kept at Castle Black. I studied the land, the past battles and everything in between, I wasn't sure if any of it would help but it kept me busy and out of their way. Every once and a while, someone would kindly insist I sit in, usually Sansa or Jon and even then I would sit to the side and open my mouth only to close it seconds later without saying a word.

"Morning" Jon greeted, setting down a tankard beside me, I visibly turned my nose up but continued writing out my notes of Winterfell's secret passages.

"Is it going to plan?" I asked half heartedly, picking up the drink and taking a long gulp, grimacing at the taste.

"No and it probably never will" He sighed, sitting down close beside me, I didn't stop scribbling.

"You were a great Lord Commander, you can take Winterfell back" I stated absent-mindedly, barely listening to what he was saying.

Only when he wrapped a hand around my pencil and pulled it away slowly.

"I'm busy" I insisted.

"You cannot read forever, Lya" Jon responded sadly, "I know you're trying to help, but you need to rest too"

"I do rest, when I can" I admitted, reaching for my pencil which disappeared in his hand, he used his other to grab mine.

"No, you don't" He argued, brushing a thumb over my hand softly.

"Let me try and help, please. I am no warrior or soldier nor do I know a thing about the inner workings of Ramsay Bolton's mind. I have to do what I can"

"And you will, but now you need to take some time to sleep and think"

"I am thinking"

"Lya" He chewed his lip, "I need to talk to you about something before we leave for Winterfell"

"Can I have my pencil back?" I asked bluntly.

"I want you to come to Winterfell with us" Jon told me and I felt my heart lurch, not from his declaration but from someone else's.

"Lya" Robb spoke softly, I turned and he stood closer to me and I swallowed nervously.

"Robb" I replied alike.

"I wish for you to stay in Winterfell," He paused, "with me"

"Robb" I began.

"The alliance would be strong, it doesn't matter what your brother thinks" He continued, "I believe myself to love you"

"Robb, I want nothing else than to stay here with you but" I sighed, "My brother threatens us and when he is angry, he is unkind to myself and my siblings. I cannot leave if I know them to be in danger", I reached up and touched his cheek kindly.

"You would be Lady of Winterfell, we would grow old together here" He almost pleaded me but I shook my head softly and took a step towards him.

"Robb Stark." I placed my other hand on his face as well, "Trust that this is not the end of our story. I will return to you when the time is right and when I can guarantee the safety of my family. We will be married and you must trust that the feelings I hold for you are true. We will protect the North together for the rest of our days"

"Lya" He whispered and dropped his hands to my waist and my hands were still on either side of his face.

He drew me in gently, our eyes were connected for what felt like forever before he dipped his head and captured my lips against his.

My eyes filled with tears at the memory, I finally snapped out of my daze and clamped a hand over my mouth, stifling a sob.

"Lya" Jon took my face in his hands like I did to Robb all those years ago. "Are you ok?"

"Yes" I whispered, "I will go with you"

I let the tears fall.

Six years ago, a kind boy asked me to stay with him in Winterfell and I declined him.

Today, the man I love asked me the exact same thing and I would not let it slip away again.

"What changed?" He murmured, his northern accent being music to my ears.

"I love you" I admitted, "and when we get back to Winterfell, I want to marry you"

He blinked for a moment, stunned into silence and I suddenly felt awfully embarrassed.

"Then we are getting back to Winterfell" Jon replied and I giggled through my tears.

"I want to help, properly" I told him, "It's my fight now too"

He nodded, "Let's take it back for Sansa, and for us"