34

My legs ached and I was extremely bored. Hordan insisted we stay off the Godsroad but keep near it so we knew our way but the bumpy journey just made me feel sick.

Neither of us really spoke either, both unsure about what had happened and better to just not mention it. I had to focus on staying away from my brother and mother for the time being.

I had no clue how far we had travelled but it felt far enough when I finally cracked.

"Can we stop at an inn" I sighed, trying to stretch my back a little and Hordan groaned.

"A bit longer" He insisted and when night came, he finally let us stop for the evening.

After riding through a night and a day, I found it remarkably difficult to dismount, Hordan sort of lifted me off and lingered too long. We just stared at each other for a moment before he reached up and covered my face with the hood that hung on the back of my cloak.

My name was well known around Westeros and my face less so but still if even one person in the inn had seen me before? I would be dragged back to Kings Landing and who knows my fate then, Hordan's fate as well.

Portraying the travelling husband and wife, we confidently entered the inn and I took a seat in the corner while Hordan got us a room.

His own armour was discarded long ago in a ditch and he simply wore a thin shirt and trousers, we tried to find a cloak or even a leather tunic but there aren't many homes outside of Kings Landing. It seemed that you either lived in the city or the next city, not in between.

"Here" Hordan set down a large ale and I stared at it, suppressing a guffaw.

"Is that really a good idea?" I sniggered, taking a tentative sip and grimacing.

"We have to blend in somehow" He took a long swig and I was partially impressed.

"I wonder what the outcome of the invasion was?" I wondered aloud, wishing I could've brought anyone with me, my brother (Tommen of course) or even Sansa. I felt so guilty leaving them to an unknown fate.

"Shush" Hordan waved his hand and I abruptly shut up, glaring at him but he was watching a couple of travellers behind us.

"As soon as the gates reopened, I hit the road" One of the men explained, "Hit the Godsroad in the middle of the night and didn't stop until now"

Using the Godsroad, he would've arrived a lot sooner than us which made sense even if he left hours after us.

"So who is the king now?" The other chuckled and took a long drink.

"Still that little brat" The first traveller scowled into his own drink.

"Not sure who would've been worse, him or Stannis"

"Him"

They both laughed uncontrollably and Hordan turned back to me.

"There's your answer" He opened his hands out as if he was presenting me a present.

"I'm sure they sent my uncle running away with his tail between his legs" I smirked, chugging some of the ale and the taste began to soften.

"After tonight, we have to keep moving" Hordan insisted, "We cannot risk any soldiers catching up to us"

"I know" I murmured, reaching over the table and squeezing his hand instinctively, we both fell silent and I retracted my hand, letting it fall into my lap heavily.

He coughed then drained his drink, "I'll be in the room next door", he set a key on the table and I nodded with a soft smile.

Once he was gone, I remained hidden in the corner, watching regular people just live their regular lives and it just made me ache. I couldn't understand why I felt so envious of ordinary people, they could go wherever they wanted and talk to whomever they wanted, where whatever they wanted. Yet I wore exactly what my mother told me too, I wasn't allowed to speak to anyone who wasn't considered good enough and I was never allowed out the Keep. My life before today had been so restricted and contained, while I had never felt so afraid of the unknown, I had a strange sense of freedom.

So when I curled up in what felt like a concrete covered bed, it felt quite comfortable.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A noise woke me and I sat bolt upright in my bed, glancing from left to right, dear shooting through me.

There were people talking outside, I pushed back my bed spread and slid out onto the cold wooden floor.

Out of nervousness I had left my window open for this very reason, in case I heard anything.

There were three men in uniform outside the inn, my breath hitched.

"I think I would know if I had seen a princess" The innkeeper insisted and the soldiers looked between each other, unsure if they could be bothered to search the inn.

"Got any young women in tonight?" One of the soldiers pressed.

"There was this married couple this evening" The innkeeper began and I held my breath, "But there was no way she was young enough to be the young princess, she must've been thirty at least"

I raised a hand to my face, searching for wrinkles and feeling hugely insulted. After a few seconds of fumbling around my own face in the dark, I decided I was just tired and do not look thirty.

Suddenly a hand landed on my shoulder and I froze.

"It's me" Hordan whispered and we watched as the soldiers conferred and in tired voices decided that I wasn't here, if I wasn't so scared I would've laughed but instead I began to breath again.

"That was too close" I murmured and Hordan simply nodded, stepping away from the window and to the door.

"Get some rest" He instructed, "We'll leave as early as possible"

And somehow I couldn't have felt more lonely when the door closed behind him, the bed suddenly felt cold and empty. Every feeling of comfort and freedom overshadowed by my ever increasing desire for the man next door.