6

Today we left for Kings Landing and my heart was aching, I didn't wish to be stuck beneath my father and brother again, I longed to stay in the freedom of the North. Sometimes I chuckled to myself about how I so hated the thought of the North before we came but now I was finding excuses to stay. Or just one excuse.

I watched the Starks bid their farewells, I stood to the side with my hands clasping my siblings. The Stark party began to file out of Winterfell, I watched as Robb bid farewell to Jon so I released my siblings to say my goodbyes.

"Jon" I announced, approaching the young man and he dipped his head in my presence.

"Your grace" He replied.

"I came to wish you luck and say goodbye" I smiled, extending a hand, he took it kindly and shook it.

"Lovely to meet you, your grace" He responded and released my hand, climbing onto his horse and following the Stark carriage out the gates. I had raised my hand in order to remind him of my name, not my title but he was gone.

I turned to Robb, before I could say anything I heard my father grumble loudly.

"You forgot my fucking armour?" He shouted at his squire, "Then go fucking get it!", the squire scuttled away and my father actually followed him with a look that could kill.

"Come with me" Robb took my hand, everyone was too busy packing away cases or following the king to stop him murdering his squire to notice me disappear.

"Where are we going?" I giggled, letting the young wolf drag me through the alleyways of Winterfell, I used my free hand to lift my skirts so I could run faster.

"I want to show you something" He told me, "something you don't have in Kings Landing"

Together, we ran past the library which made my smile even more and through an archway into what could only be a godswood.

"We have a godswood!" I informed him, "But it is truly wonderful"

"No, I wish to show you this" Robb dragged my through the trees and I squealed, until we came to a large tree unlike the others.

"A weirwood tree" I breathed, "Oh it's beautiful"

"The Red Keep is relatively new, you do not have a weirwood tree" Robb replied, "Look closer", he softly pushed me forward, his hands gentle on my waist.

"How exquisite" I touched the face carved into the tree, tracing the lines with my finger.

"Lya" Robb spoke softly, I turned and he stood closer to me and I swallowed nervously.

"Robb" I replied alike.

"I wish for you to stay in Winterfell," He paused, "with me"

"Robb" I began.

"The alliance would be strong, it doesn't matter what your brother thinks" He continued, "I believe myself to love you"

"Robb, I want nothing else than to stay here with you but" I sighed, "My brother threatens us and when he is angry, he is unkind to myself and my siblings. I cannot leave if I know them to be in danger", I reached up and touched his cheek kindly.

"You would be Lady of Winterfell, we would grow old together here" He almost pleaded me but I shook my head softly and took a step towards him.

"Robb Stark." I placed my other hand on his face as well, "Trust that this is not the end of our story. I will return to you when the time is right and when I can guarantee the safety of my family. We will be married and you must trust that the feelings I hold for you are true. We will protect the North together for the rest of our days"

"Lya" He whispered, almost a moan, he dropped his hands to my waist and my hands were still on either side of his face.

He drew me in gently, our eyes were connected for what felt like forever before he dipped his head and captured my lips against his.

Everything melted away, only his soft lips against mine and the cool air sending shivers straight through me. I let my hands fall to his neck, allowing myself to pull him closer and his hands on my waist tightened. He parted my lips and my heart was beating faster than ever, his fingers gripping my body and pulling me closer, mine curling into his soft dark hair.

"Lya" Marin called out from what seemed like the courtyard. I pulled back and pressed my forehead against his, both of us breathing heavily.

"I must go" I whispered, he nodded so all I could do was close the space between us for a final time. Pressing my lips to his with a sharp inhale of breath then releasing him, not looking back and almost jogging to the courtyard. Leaving Robb Stark alone in the godswood, a memory of me upon his lips.

When I reached Marin, she was fretting, "Where did you go?" she insisted.

"For a little walk before I am to be stuck in this carriage for days" I lied, "I'm back now"

She led me to our carriage which I climbed into and sat opposite my mother and beside my sister, Tommen was already getting sleepy next to Mother. I leaned back and touched my two fingers to my bottom lip, savouring my moment with Robb Stark until I could see him again.

"Well done" Mother spoke calmly.

"I'm sorry?"

"You settled an alliance" She looked at me, her strawberry blonde locks bundled into a bun and her face serene, "He'll wait for you"

"I wish he didn't have to" I rang my hand over Myrcella's hair, then the carriage began to move and I glanced out the window. Robb stood with his mother, looking downtrodden, I waved at him solemnly and he tipped his head to me.

Then we left Winterfell, a hole forming in my heart as we went.