51

Sorry for the late update :( just got back to university and trying to not fall behind which of course I already have but I'm here and I'm back and here is some stuff.

A heavy knock at the door woke me, I glanced around in confusion but Ser Davos looked concerned. I stood up from the corner that I had curled into and walked over to join him at the door.

"No" He muttered, "You cannot be seen if they enter"

"But I-" I started.

"Trust me, princess"

I scowled quietly and slipped over to the drapes and prepared to wrap myself into them as a man outside began to speak.

"It's time, Ser Davos, open the door and the men inside can rejoin their brothers in peace" The ringleader, Thorne, was speaking and I grimaced, watching the cogs turn in Ser Davos' head. "We'll even set the wolf free north of the wall, where it belongs"

Ghost whimpered just a little, glancing over at Jon's still immobile body, I tried to coax him over but he wasn't taking it.

"Might even escort the girl back to her family, you're welcome to go too" He added and it was my turn to stifle a whimper, several of the men in the room subtly shot me a look, I had had short and brief chats with them but nothing to warrant any sympathy, they were just curious to see how I would react.

"No" I mouthed at Ser Davos who held his hands up and gestured for me to calm down.

"Nobody needs to die tonight"

"I've never been much of a fighter" Ser Davos glanced around the confused men, then his eyes fell on me in the corner, he moved towards me then picked up a sword, "Apologies for what you're about to see", I pleaded with my eyes for him to give me a sword, a dagger anything but he shook his head calmly.

He unsheathed his sword as an axe fell on the door, I jumped, composing myself but still fearful of what would happen when the Nights Watch did get to us.

A loud thud distracted everybody, the sound of the wooden gates shaking on their hinges, everyone stopped and turned. I flew to the window and watched as something tore down the gate.

My eyes almost bugged out of my head as the giant charged in, roaring, the hundreds of wildlings following in suit. The traitors drew their swords but they were outnumbered, a smile spread across my face.

The men dropped their weapons and the loyalists around me began to cheer, everything was silent until the arrow landed in the giants shoulder. He turned and dashed the man against the wall, his brains smeared across the courtyard. At that, my joy settled into disgust and I stepped back from the window and out in the fresh air.

I stood with Ser Davos, who took a look at me and realised there was no keeping me inside or away for the violence, I may be a princess by name but I was no lady anymore. Finally, he understood that.

When they restrained the traitors and took them away, I watched them go, even could've sworn their leader, Thorne, looked at me and curled his lip. My blood ran cold but not as cold as Jon's who still lay unmoving in the room behind us.

When they brought the wilding leader, who very gallantly introduced himself to me as Tormund, he gazed down at the body of Jon Snow with sadness as we all had before him.

I stood opposite the two men, not quite holding the his cold fingers but still there, feeling for any sigh of warmth.

"We have bodies to burn" Tormund finished, I looked up, completely forgetting what he had been saying, my focus elsewhere. He looked at me and tipped his head, "Princess", he addressed slightly sarcastically and I returned a soft smile.

Finally, I retired to my room, which wasn't really my room. It was Jon's, the Lord Commanders rooms which he so kindly gave me free reign of, he told me it was the best Castle Black could offer a princess of the kingdom they worked so diligently to protect.

I stood in the centre, a look at the bed told me I couldn't sleep there, not now. After much deliberation, I took a cushion from the chair and used a cloak that was lent to me, albeit enormous, it worked as a blanket as I settled on the rug in front of the fire, everything else felt disrespectful, it wasn't mine.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A young man knocked on the door to tell me that Ser Davos had requested my presence, I had never moved so fast.

When I arrived, the woman in red was stood over Jon's body, wiping away blood with a cloth. Only Davos looked over at me with something that resembled hope.

She finally removed all the blood, leaving only the incisions on his colourless flesh, I pursed my lips and looked away. Calmly, she began to speak words in a language I didn't recognise, snipping off a strands of his hair and dropping them into the flames beside her. Her ritual was odd but something about it felt promising, I watched in curiosity as she poured water over his head gently.

Finally, she placed her hands over his torso and continued her foreign chanting.

Her words grew hurried and frustrated but still nothing happened.

When she looked over at Ser Davos in defeat, I drew in a sharp breath and took one last look at the man who saved my life, then left the room, my footsteps echoing off the wooden floor.

It was time to go past the wall.