Chapter 38: Turning Tides

Thank you so much to @sunnys_stories24 for the beautiful art of Izumina! Go check out her art on Instagram and TikTok (same username) and read her stories here on Wattpad!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"All Might!"

Izumina heaved a breath of relief as the smoke began to settle. She frowned as she noticed All Might wasn't dawning his signature smile. She concluded he must still be tired from over-exerting himself that morning. 'Damn, it. He's already reached his limit for today!'

"I've been waiting, hero," Shigaraki bellowed. "You trash of society!"

"Shut up!" Izumina yelled as she reached for the lake and directed the water in a blast towards Shigaraki, drenching him.

Shigaraki reeled and spun on her. "Don't get involved, girl" he threatened, scratching violently at his neck.

"Shigaraki--" Kurogiri warned.

"I know!" Shigaraki glared in Kurogiri's direction before turning towards All Might once more.

Izumina grit her teeth as the thugs around the arena eyed All Might with a mix of intimidation and malice. Izumina's eyes fell to Aizawa once more. The sound of her heartbeat pounded in her ears so loudly she could barely hear herself think. Her thoughts were a jumble of confusion and anger. Who was this King? What was his connection to her? Whatever the answers were, it was clear the League of Villains had strict orders not to hurt her, and that majorly pissed her off.

'Well, if they can't hurt me,' Izumina thought as she teleported to Aizawa. 'I have an advantage.'

Almost as fast as she had, All Might appeared at Aizawa's side as three thugs fell to the floor, unconscious. Izumina met his eyes with a look of sheer astonishment. He was fast, and efficient from the looks of the thugs behind him. She wondered how long he could keep it up...

"All Might--" she whispered in a worried tone as he scooped Aizawa up and into his arms.

"It'll be alright, Young Yūsha."

That hadn't been what she'd meant. What worried her most was if he was strong enough to sustain his muscle form. Despite her better judgement, Izumina took a vague sense of comfort in his empty reassurance. Her eyes fell to Aizawa's elbow, his arm hanging limply by his side. "Oh," she gasped involuntarily, "Aizawa sensei..."

"Stay close to me," All Might muttered.

"Huh," Izumina questioned, but before she could receive an answer, All Might had lunged across the lake. In the blink of an eye, he scooped Midoriya, Tsuyu and Mineta out of the water and over his shoulder, Aizawa on the other, before retreating to the edge of the arena's centre just as swiftly. Izumina's breath hitched in astonishment before the wind from All Might's movements smacked her in the face and brought her back to reality. She teleported to his side.

'Why couldn't Aizawa erase Nomu's quirk,' she wondered internally. 'Was it because he couldn't make eye contact with him? Whatever the case, how could this have happened?'

"Everyone, go to the entrance. I'm leaving Aizawa to you," All Might stated as he laid the teacher's injured form at their feet. "He's unconscious. Hurry!"

"Y-Yes, sir," Mineta said, scuttling towards Aizawa as Tsuyu followed behind him, ribbiting in acknowledgement.

"No, we can't," Izumina exclaimed, surprised at the sound of her voice. She glanced down at her hands briefly before regaining her composure. "He'll bleed out if we try to move him. You guys get a head start while I seal his wounds."