Chapter 32: Quirky Secrets

Hey guys, the picture above is something I drew for Inktober a while back. The prompt was 'dizzy' so I couldn't help but think of that moment at the end of Chapter 30: Kacchan, Deku, And Aho. Hope you enjoy the chapter. 

 ~Author

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The school year has just begun, and he's already been in here three times! Why didn't you stop him, All Might?"

Izumina recognized Recovery Girl's voice through her office door as she turned the knob to enter.

"I apologize, Recovery Girl," All Might bowed.

"What are you apologizing to me for? On top of his total exhaustion, he was here just yesterday," Recover Girl fumed, both adults oblivious to Izumina, who stood silently in the corner.

"Knock, knock," Izumina spoke, fully stepping into the room.

"Ah, Young Yūsha," All Might muttered as Izumina pushed the door shut.

"How's he doing?" Izumina nodded towards the bed where Izuku lay unconscious.

Recovery Girl sighed and shook her head. "I can't treat him all at once. I did first-aid treatment already, so after the IV is finished, we can only wait for his body to heal slowly overnight. His arm seems to have started healing already. It's quite unusual for it to have started the regenerative process even before I could examine him. It's as though somebody already took a look at it..." Recovery Girl turned towards All Might. "Jeez, I know he's your favourite and that you passed on your powers to him, but that doesn't mean you should spoil him!"

All Might's head hung as he rubbed the back of his neck. "There's nothing I can say to that. Because I wanted to consider his feelings, I hesitated to stop the training match. Even so... Will you please not talk about One For All so loudly?"

"Yes, yes, Mr. Natural-Born Hero. Mr. Symbol of Peace." Recover Girl turned in her chair, directing her attention towards her computer. Both adults were once again oblivious to Izumina's presence.

Izumina subtly stroked her arm as she remembered the immense pain that had shot through it upon her attempted healing. "My quirk isn't meant for healing other people, so I wasn't sure if it would have any effect..." she muttered, catching Recovery Girl's attention.

"So, you're the one with the multiple quirks, huh?"

Izumina flinched as Recovery Girl stood from her seat and walked towards her. For a moment, Izumina's eyes flickered to the syringe in the old woman's bun, her heart skipping a beat as it came towards her before she worked up the courage to tear her gaze away. "Oh, umm, yeah... How do you-- Well, I guess All Might would've told you, right? My bad." Izumina's focus was fixated on the tiles beneath her feet.

Recovery Girl hummed. "It's quite unusual, your situation, I mean. I've never heard of anyone having abilities that don't, in some way, relate back to their original quirk. The one that developed first..."

Izumina stuttered, her voice barely more than a whisper. "I don't quite understand it either. I was a late bloomer when it came to developing my first quirk, and I don't like to openly talk about my others to avoid making anyone feel bad, or like I'm looking down on them." Izumina's gaze fell on Izuku's form. The IV bag connected to his arm dripping once as she collected her thoughts. "I know what it's like to not have a quirk... Quirk discrimination is a real thing in our society... I don't know why these powers have surfaced only recently. But, I just don't feel comfortable with everyone knowing it for what it truly is, I mean, whatever it is. In a way, it's kind of like One For All. It's my secret that only a few people have been entrusted with. I'm sure one day I'll be able to openly say what my quirks are, but until then, I don't want to label it. So please, Recovery Girl, keep my secret as well."