Chapter 9: Over the Years

As time went on the peculiar occurrences continuously plagued Izumina's nights. It was always the same, the lightheaded feeling, passing out, and the shadowy figure. She would slip into unconsciousness, wake up dazed in a laboratory, then get knocked out once more by anesthesia. Izumina never dared talk to her father about it, she still tried speaking to him as limited as possible. She didn't even tell Izuku about it all, only vaguely when the topic couldn't be avoided; however, for the most part she kept the events to herself. She didn't want to worry her best friend with her problems.

Since the first occurrence, Izumina would heal whenever she injured herself. Small scrapes from tripping would disappear almost instantly, and if she focused hard enough, she could heal injuries on other beings too. So far she had only ever tried it on a bird she found in the woods with a broken wing. She was out on a walk when it happened, through a pathway in the forest a ways off from her house. When she encountered the bird on the dirt path in front of her she rushed to help, knowing if she didn't the poor creature would die. She didn't even think twice. Just rushed head first.

The second time she woke in the laboratory she was injected once again, only the sting from it's tip felt colder. Like freezing water had begun flowing through her veins. The next morning the wound from the needle was gone, the restraints from before hurt but had left no visible mark on her skin. When she went to wash her hands in her bathroom sink the water from the tap began hovering above her palms. She dropped the water into the sink as she yelped and pulled her hands away. Once she had calmed down she was able to actually wash her hands, feeling the cold liquid caress her palms she built up enough courage to test out her new ability. She let the water from the tap run freely and held out her arms. The water stopped flowing and floated midair where she had stopped it's stream. She shifted her stance and adjusted her palms. The water flowed with her stance, changing and bending to her will.

The third time she felt the prick of the needle it sent flames up her arm, leaving a burning sensation, turning her blood to fire. She didn't need the anesthesia to get knocked out from all the pain. She knew the drill by now and tried to dismiss the feeling of power coursing through her veins. She didn't want these quirks, these cursed abilities that weren't hers. It didn't feel natural, and it wasn't fair in Izumina's mind. She felt so guilty carrying the weight of this secret when her best friend wasn't even lucky enough to get one quirk. Let alone the three Izumina had, teleportation, healing, and water manipulation.

Like her first quirk she kept the others hidden from her classmates, even Izuku... for as long as she could. He always managed to find out. He would question her until she spilled her guts to him about the quirks. Every time she would apologize profusely and curse herself for having them, but each time Izuku would congratulate her on her gifts. Izuku, although supportive would always have a glint of sadness in his eyes, which Izumina noticed and would only feel worse.

Her abilities multiplied as she manifested the quirk of fire manipulation, and later, control over earth and air. With her power over the elements Izumina grieved for Izuku, and all the other quirkless people on the planet. She couldn't understand why these things were happening to her, and not Izuku. Why couldn't he have his dream? Why couldn't he have a quirk? 'If he had my powers, everybody would respect him, and Katsuki wouldn't make fun of him. Everybody would make him the number one hero.'

Izumina realized at the end of her second year in middle school, that she should use her powers to support Izuku's dream of becoming a hero. If she were cursed with great power, she might as well use it for good. In secret, she would sneak out to the woods to hone her abilities. She would camp out on the weekends, making fires for herself, healing hurt animals she stumbled across, and using the winds around her to fly through the canopies.