Chapter 20: As Good As A Father

Time was flying by, and before Izumina knew it the school year was coming to a close. Ever since she'd been accepted into U.A. people had been congratulating her, one of which included the famous hero, Fleur-de-lis from Canada, who she'd told over the phone shortly after getting her results back.

"U.A.?!" Fleur-de-lis exclaimed over the phone call.

"Yep, I found out a couple weeks ago," Izumina explained as she riffled through a pile of forms she needed to complete before she could officially be enrolled. "I got the paperwork for it all, right here."

Izumina could hear Fleur-de-lis gush through the phone. "That's amazing, kid! I'm so proud of you! Though if you wanted to get into a course like that I would've been happy to write you a recommendation letter."

"Thanks," Izumina beamed as she picked up a pen and began scribbling answers onto the papers before her. "I wouldn't want to be a bother though. Besides, this way I know I got in on my own merits."

Fleur-de-lis chuckled. "You sound just like me when I was your age. Always out to prove myself I was. It's probably why I'm so stubborn nowadays."

Izumina laughed. "Hey now! I'm not stubborn!" The line was quiet for a moment. "At least... not as stubborn as you!"

Fleur-de-lis roared with laughter. "Hey now kid, I was only teasing." Izumina smiled as she listened to Fleur-de-lis's attempts to calm himself. Once he had, he spoke again. "In all seriousness, kid. I'm really proud of you. You've always been like the daughter I never had, and to see how far you've come since the day you lost your mom... It brings great joy to me."

Izumina stopped writing as she took in these words. Fleur-de-lis had been her friend ever since she'd moved back to Japan. Sure, he liked to check in on her every now and again, but Izumina had never realized she'd meant that much to him. She smiled. "I'm so glad I met you, Fleur. You don't know how much your support means to me." Izumina thought of her father who paled in comparison to the man she was talking to. Her father, who didn't support her; heck, he barely even knew her. 'That not fair,' she thought, 'how can he really support me if I don't even talk to him? I can't blame him if I'm the one who doesn't talk.'

Izumina's thoughts were interrupted by a sound on Fleur-de-lis's end of the phone. It sounded like Charles. Izumina figured Fleur would have to go soon. As if on cue Fleur-de-lis explained he was being called for patrol and left with a final round of praise and goodbye.

Izumina put down her phone and sighed. She tapped the end of her pen against her chin as she contemplated the form in front of her. She slumped back in her desk chair and ran an annoyed hand through her messy hair, which for once she'd released from its usual loose ponytail. She read the last question on the form aloud. "Quirk... and an explanation of what you can do with it... How am I supposed to explain that..."

Izumina pondered for a moment before an idea popped into her head. She scribbled her response and held up the page.

"Izumina Kimino, Quirk: Multitude; Allows me to use elemental manipulation to perform a variety of attacks and tasks including teleportation and healing. Unfortunately, it also causes me to get dehydrated easily."

Izumina smiled; technically she wasn't lying. Sure, she was born with teleportation, but the Izumina Kimino of U.A. could do so much more than that. Multitude was just a word to describe her abilities easier. Izumina's gaze landed on her name at the top of the page. Kimono was her father's last name, she'd always hated it. She wondered; What was the harm if she...

She read over the page. Satisfied with what she'd written, she tucked the form into an envelope, along with a request form for her hero uniform and a drawing she'd made of what she wanted. All she needed now was a parent's signature. Izumina sighed again. She hadn't told her father she'd applied, let alone gotten in, to U.A. It had been years since she'd last had a real conversation with her father. Izumina wanted to stay true to the promise she'd made herself, and honor her mother;s words, but she didn't see any other way. Just as she was about to head downstairs her phone rang again.