Chapter 29: Wait For Me

"Now, it's time for training combat," All Might exclaimed. The class stood before him with expressions of awe and excitement on their faces.

"Sir!"

Izumina turned to her side, recognizing Iida's voice from next to Izuku, who stood to her left. She couldn't help but notice his hero costume resembled another famous hero, Ingenium. He wore metal armour that resembled that of a mech with a helmet that covered his face. Perhaps Iida's costume, similarly to Izumina and Izuku's, was inspired by his favourite hero. Izumina wondered...

"This is a battle centre from the entrance exam, so will we be conducting urban battles again?" Iida spoke with his hand raised.

"No, we're going to move ahead two steps," All Might answered, giving the class a peace sign. "Most of the time, fighting villains takes place outside, but if you look at the total numbers, atrocious villains appear indoors at a higher rate. Imprisonment, house arrest--"

For a moment, the memory of the lab, in which Izumina had been held prisoner in her dreams several times, appeared before her. Izumina inhaled sharply. Terrified that she was once again in that terrible room. Blinking quickly, as though unable to believe her eyes, she forced herself back to reality and realized that All Might was still talking about the class. She hadn't moved. Somehow... the realization that she wasn't there didn't relieve her.

"Backroom deals--" All Might continued. "In this society filled with heroes, truly intelligent villains hide in the shadows!"

'Truly intelligent villains... shadows...' Izumina thought to herself. 'No,' she tried to reason. 'Those were just dreams... You're being paranoid. You need to focus...'

"For this class," All Might stated, "you'll be split into teams of villains and heroes and fight 2-on-2 indoor battles."

"Without basic training?" Izumina turned her head to see Tsuyu had been the one to speak.

"This is a real battle to understand those basics! However, the key this time is that there are no robots for you to just beat up."

Izumina recalled how easily she had been able to take down the robotic faux-villains from the entrance exam. This time, she wouldn't be able to go all out. She'd have to hold back this time to avoid accidentally injuring any of her classmates. She wouldn't want to give any of them scars with her fire manipulation. Izumina found herself unintentionally glancing over at Todoroki, that is until Momo spoke and caused her attention to shift once again.

"How will wins and losses be determined?"

"Can we beat them up anyways?" Bakugou growled causing Izumina to look over and sigh.

"I don't want to fight my classmates. They're my friends," Izumina muttered.

Bakugou, having heard Izumina's statement, looked over at the girl with a cocky smirk on his face. "Are you kidding?! I've been looking for an excuse to punch one of these losers all day!"

Izumina, though exasperated, failed to suppress a grin. "I know, Katsuki. But please don't."

The boy laughed menacingly, making a deep throaty noise which reminded Izumina of a dog that was all bark and no bite. Bakugou had always been one to say threatening things while failing to follow through. Izumina knew he was a skilled fighter; hopefully, he'd know when enough was enough for this particular training exercise.

"Will the punishment be expulsion like with Mr. Aizawa," Uraraka asked. Izumina shivered at the thought of going through another test with the threat of expulsion looming over them. Her worry for Izuku wouldn't be able to handle it. Thankfully, Izumina knew All Might would never put Izuku in that situation, especially knowing the circumstances. 'No way All Might would be the same as Aizawa,' Izumina reasoned internally.