Chapter 16: Grow Yourself

Over the next few weeks, Izumina and Izuku were on a strict schedule. Izumina wanted to support her friend as best she could, so she tried to stick to his schedule as much as possible so he wouldn't feel alone. Unfortunately, with the limited hours of sleep, All Might was allowing Izuku to have, Izumina found herself taking cat naps whenever she was alone at home.

Every morning she would walk with Izuku down to the beach, where they would always meet All Might. For the first month, Izumina participated in carrying objects from one end of the beach to the other alongside Izuku, though she left the heavy lifting to him just as All Might had instructed.

At school, she noticed Izuku was more tired than ever; having spent time training at home while she slept in her comfortable bed. Izuku did his best to take notes and pay attention in class, but Izumina could tell he was straining himself. It was especially hard not to say anything when he was caught muttering to himself in the middle of class one day. Izumina, who sat beside him, could faintly hear him calculating if he'd have enough time to clear the beach in the limited time he had.

She tried to get his attention, but he was too zoned out to notice. Slowly everyone began to stare at him since his muttering was disturbing the teacher's lesson. He didn't realize what was going on until the teacher smacked him on the head. At this Izuku turned a bright red and slapped his hands over his mouth as the class erupted in cackles. Izumina was seething and spent the rest of the period glaring daggers at the teacher.

After about a week of this, she'd had enough. During lunch one day, while they ate, Izumina proposed an alternative to how he'd been handling school.

"Why don't you just listen in class as best you can, then copy my notes over lunch?"

Izuku, who was clutching a weight in his hand under the desk, smiled. "I couldn't do that to you Izumi."

"You're exhausted," Izumina exclaimed under her breath. "Please just focus on listening to the teacher and worry about notes later. It would make me feel a lot better."

Reluctantly Izuku agreed and began spending lunch hours copying her notes from the past morning and day. Izumina was glad she could help in some way and smiled when she noticed the bags under his eyes getting lighter.

By the second month, Izumina would spend her time at the beach sitting next to All Might and cheering Izuku on, as All Might felt she'd helped Izuku enough with his physical training. This bothered her at first, but once she saw how fast Izuku was improving she relaxed a little.

"Go, Izu!" She yelled one day as he struggled to move a gigantic tire. All Might patted his own back as if to say 'put your back into it.' which made Izumina cheer louder.

Every weekend Izuku, All Might, and she would go for a run before heading down to the beach. While Izuku trained All Might and she would talk. It was one day, late in the second month of Izuku's training that All Might finally asked the question Izumina had been dreading.

"So," All Might asked as Izuku was busy pushing a truck across the beach. "It's about time we made a training schedule for you too. What's your quirk?"

Izumina stiffened. "Actually All Might," she said, twiddling her thumbs. "I wanted to ask you this a while ago, but I didn't really know how.'

All Might turned to face her. Even in his civilian form, with his sunken facial features, Izumina found his presence reassuring, almost fatherly. "I was a late bloomer," she said. "I got my quirk, teleportation when I was nine."

All Might chuckled. "Oh, there's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I was born quirkless until my predecessor passed One For All onto me."

"Well, that's not the thing," Izumina started, but stopped once his words had sunken in. "Wait... You were quirkless?"