Chapter 27: Bitter-Sweet

Note: The video above does not belong to me. I just found it on YouTube and had it playing in the background as I wrote this chapter. I suggest playing it when you get to a 'certain part' of this chapter. I'm sure you'll know when I'm referring to when you get to it. If you don't feel like listening to it that's fine too. Either way I hope you enjoy this chapter. ~ ♡                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the train rumbled across its tracks Izuku turned to Izumina.

"I wanted to ask you earlier, Izumi. Why did you tell everybody that your last name was Yūsha? It means brave in Japanese, doesn't it?"

Izumina smiled sadly as she neatly folded her hands in her lap. "It can mean 'hero' too actually. It's pretty ironic, huh?"

Izuku stared at his friend worriedly. The way her mouth smiled but her eyes didn't, as though they'd lost their spark. It was almost as if she were remembering something bitter-sweet. Izuku didn't understand what she'd meant. "Why did you change your name, Izumi?"

Izumina's gaze stayed on her hands, as she refused to lift her head. "Because..." She paused for a moment before breathing her next words. "It was my mom's maiden name. I just-- Well, I wanted to have some part of her with me going into high school. It was unnecessary, I know. I just... I thought it was a perfect fit."

Izumina had only ever been able to bring herself to admit this to Fleur-de-lis, but her mother was her hero. The fact that 'Yūsha' could mean 'hero' made Izumina feel both happy and sad at the same time. It reminded her to be brave. It reminded her why she was still alive.

Izuku nodded solemnly, having realized the meaning behind Izumina's explanation. "It suits you, Izumi." Without saying a word, he placed his hand over hers.

Izumina tilted her head to look at her friend, a faint smile replacing her forced one from earlier. "Thank you."

...

When Izumina got home that night the first thing she did was call Fleur-de-lis. The hero had insisted she tell him all about her first day at U.A. the last time they'd spoken, which was exactly what Izumina intended to do. The phone rang several times before Fleur-de-lis's voicemail picked up. Izumina sighed and hung up the call.

"He must be on patrol or something," Izumina muttered to herself as she slipped her backpack off her shoulders. For a moment she considered trying to call Bakugou and explain, the same way she had to Izuku, why she'd changed her last name. After all, her phone was already in her hands. Maybe she could explain why she'd lied about her quirk too, while she was at it.

She shook her head as she predicted Bakugou's response. "Why are you calling me, Aho? Don't talk to me." It seemed like a reasonable prediction, especially considering this was Bakugou she was thinking about. She placed her phone on her nightstand, beside her only picture of Izuku and Bakugou as friends. Izumina sighed, knowing that what she had to say must be done in person. Bakugou might've been an arrogant, stubborn bully, but she knew deep down that even he deserved that much from her.

Izumina sighed before getting changed into a comfortable pink hoodie and black leggings. She carefully placed the yellow pin from her necktie onto her nightstand, so as not to forget it the next morning.

Just then her father called her. "Zumi! Dinner is ready!"

Knowing her father would ask questions about her first day, Izumina grabbed the handouts from her backpack about 'the curriculum and such' before heading downstairs to join her father for dinner.

Nakiro Kimino had prepared two bowls of udon noodles, topped with tempura bits, a couple of naruto fish cakes, and just a hint of green onion. He had also prepared a kettle of green tea to go with the meal. As Izumina's father placed the two bowls on the kitchen table he looked up and greeted his daughter with a smile. "I made your favourite as a treat to celebrate your first day."