Chapter 19: The Deciding Factor

Izumina's cuts were bleeding furiously as she struggled to heal Izuku's arm. She hadn't even started on his legs by the time a small group of examinees had surrounded them and began talking.

"What was that guy? He suddenly jumped at the obstacle."

"He seemed to have a reinforcement-type quirk, but that was unusual..."

"But if he had such an amazing quirk, what kind of life did he live that made him so jumpy? Maybe he was acting to trick others?"

"But it doesn't look like he gained anything from doing so. Besides his friend over there... Maybe his sister... seems pretty protective of him. Maybe it wasn't an act."

Izumina was on the verge of snapping at them when she heard someone say; "Anyway there's no mistaking that he's an amazing guy."

Izumina tried to take a calming breath. "Don't these idiots realize I can hear them," she thought. "Isn't anybody going to get help?"

As though Izumina's thoughts had been answered, a woman's voice could be heard making its way through the crowd. "Okay, good work. Good work, good work. Here you go. Have some gummies. Eat some gummies."

The crowd parted to reveal a tiny woman, with gray hair pulled in a tight, netted bun, wearing what looked to be a white doctor's coat, pink helmet and boots, as well as a syringe themed cane. A boy near her, who she'd just handed some gummies to, bowed in thanks as he gratefully accepted the candies. Izumina immediately recognized her as the pro hero Recovery Girl.

Izumina forced her attention back to Izuku's arm and continued to pour her energy into healing his broken limbs. She could feel herself getting dizzy as a boy in the crowd pointed at Recovery Girl and said in a french accent: "That mademoiselle is the backbone of U.A."

Recovery Girl approached Izumina and looked down at Izuku's broken form. "Oh dear, you were hurt this much by your own quirk?" Recovery Girl muttered so that only Izumina and Izuku, who was unconscious, could hear her. "It's as if his body is not used to his quirk yet," she noted almost to herself.

Izumina didn't stop to acknowledge the hero. She was too focused on healing her friend.

Recovery Girl placed a hand on Izumina's turned shoulder. "It's alright my dear. Your friend's in good hands. I'll take it from here." Izumina looked over her shoulder and met the kind eyes of Recovery Girl.

"Yeah, alright." Izumina pulled her hand away from Izuku and stepped back.

"Goodness me. You're pretty banged up yourself," Recovery Girl noted, addressing Izumina's multiple cuts that had reformed, even after she'd healed them. "Let's get you fixed up first." 

Izumina wasn't really sure what she meant. Izuku was clearly in greater need of medical assistance than her right now. Additionally, the syringe accessory in Recovery Girl's hair as well her cane reminded Izumina of giant needles; which for some reason made her heart beat dangerously fast.

"Umm... I'm okay," Izumina stuttered, trying to think of a way to get as far from the woman's cane as possible.

"Nonsense, it'll only take a few seconds," Recovery Girl cooed, taking a step closer to Izumina. Her cane was centimetres away from Izumina's knee now.

Izumina felt like running, but she knew how strange this would look, so she stayed kneeling by Izuku. Trying her best to hide her trembling hand, Izumina felt as though she were being suffocated, but why? She'd admired the hero Recovery Girl for as long as she could remember. Why now, all of a sudden, was she feeling a sharp sensation in her bicep? The feeling tugged on her heart and mind, telling her to get away as fast as she could. She stayed frozen.