Chapter 42: L'appel Du Vide

Thank you so much to Quail for the beautiful banner art of Izumina! I hate how long it took me to update but I'm so happy to finally show off this beautiful drawing. Check out their Wattpad @birdfuckery where they feature this art again in their work: 'Fanart ig..'  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why are you crying, Maman?" Izumina asked as she knelt on the ground. She spoke in French, trying to reassure her mother that she was indeed picking up the language of their new home; despite her peers' less-than-accepting nature. She couldn't have been older than five.

The scene was sombre, yet all too common in the Yūsha household. Miyuna– so often seen as a quiet yet kind woman to the outside world– was a mess of tears on the living room couch. Her eyes were glazed over as if she were miles away. Perhaps it was her childhood home or the pitiful state she was in... but to any bystander, Miyuna looked like a child. Broken, naive, and in desperate need of comfort.

Izumina didn't know what to do. She didn't fully understand what was happening, why her mother came home every day, cooked dinner, and made conversation as if everything was all right, before breaking down in the silence of the night. Izumina rubbed soothing circles on her mother's knees, tilting her head as she looked up, trying to get a better view of her mother's face.

Miyuna said nothing as her tears began to slow. Her hands covered her face. Her hair was a mess from the day's tribulations.

"Do you miss father?"

Miyuna's expression was cold, her face neutral as she stared forward blankly. "Sometimes," she confessed. "But none of that matters... not anymore."

"Why?" Izumina asked, trying to meet her mother's eyes.

The room was silent for a long time before Miyuna spoke again. Her voice was strained, practically a whisper. The words came as if involuntarily, from somewhere deep in her conscience. Izumina had no idea if her mother even meant to utter her next words aloud.

"He's a monster... and it's all because of me."

...

Izumina eyed Nakiro and the phone in his hand slowly, unable to read his expression. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means," Nakiro spoke, lowering his arm. "You're strong Izumi, strong enough for the league to consider you a threat."

Her teeth grit as she bit the inside of her cheek, trying to retain some semblance of composure. Izumina realized suddenly that her plan had been doomed to fail from the very beginning. He'd had her phone and repressed her quirks. He had all the power, while she was sitting ducks.

She was powerless.

"What?" she stuttered, her voice catching in her throat.

"I've been ordered to keep you in those cuffs, but I'm not a monster." Nakiro walked towards her before crouching and gently handing her the phone. "I want you to know I'm on your side."

Izumina's eyes fell to her phone. Sleek, shiny, and ever so enticing. She didn't move.

"Take it," Nakiro urged, placing it in her hands. He didn't have to ask twice.

Izumina accepted the phone hesitantly, a feeling of unease settling in the pit of her stomach.

"Are you displeased?" Nakiro asked with a smirk. "I thought you'd be thrilled to have it back."

Something changed in Izumina's demeanour as she nodded slowly. Something akin to muscle memory siphoned her voice, her words. She stayed silent. Perhaps it's all she knew to do. All she'd ever known how to do.