Chapter 41: Speak

Thank you so much to @sunnys_stories24 for drawing Izumina for the prompt empty last Inktober! I've been looking forward to using this as banner art for a while now. Be sure to give her a follow on Instagram and go read the fanfictions she has on her own Wattpad account. 

Also, I've updated the maturity rating of this fic so if you're interested in why that is I put a disclaimer chapter at the beginning of the story to hopefully clear up any confusion. It's been a while but I'm so glad to be back to updating this story. Hope you enjoy~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You know, I always wanted a sister," Izumina said, leaning back in her desk chair. Her cell phone was pressed against her ear, resting in the crook of her shoulder as she twirled a pen absentmindedly.

"Did you now?" Fleur's hearty chuckle echoed from the receiver. "As terrible as this may sound, in a hero's line of work, it's often better to be an only child."

Izumina paused, clicking the back of her pen as she contemplated. "Why do you say that?"

"The media likes prying into your personal life," he explained, taking a moment to choose his words. "It's easy for a villain to find your real identity, and when they do, they can target the people you care about."

The line was quiet for a moment, a sombre static filling the air between them. Izumina held her breath, aligning her thoughts in a way that could broach the topic without being insensitive.

"Is that why they went after Charles?"

Fleur hummed, a throaty sound resonating from deep within his chest. Izumina could imagine him, sitting in his living room, just as her mother always had. His eyes staring forward, empty and forlorn. His shoulders stiff and hunched.

"How's he doing, by the way?"

Fleur sucked in a breath. Izumina was careful to fixate on his breathing, every movement or shuffle. Treading the line of how much she could ask without crossing some unspoken boundary.

"He's still in the hospital. The doctors said he should be home in a day or two."

Izumina placed her pen down, allowing it to roll into the page fold of her hero analysis notebook. "This changes nothing you know."

Fleur scoffed, his voice almost cruel as he spoke. "I wouldn't be so sure about that, kiddo."

"You still love him. Don't you?"

"It's more than that. You wouldn't understand something so complicated." She could hear him fiddling with something— likely his ring— spinning it round and around.

"The public doesn't seem to love us." He fingered the band, a symbol of his engagement and affection for Charles. "Even though it was a villain this time... who's to say it won't be them next?"

Izumina sat upright in her chair. Adjusting so that her elbows rested on the desk, her phone now in her hand.

"I just... I love him so much it hurts," he sniffled. "He was hurt because of me... And I couldn't save him!"

Her vision blurred at the edges. She bit the inside of her cheek to keep from losing her composure. She'd stay strong for Fleur.

"I've never loved anyone like that..." Izumina stated, her words drawn out to suppress the waver she knew would otherwise seize her voice. "But I know Charles wouldn't want you to blame yourself. It wasn't your fault."

"...I just don't know anymore..."

Izumina's eyes were downcast. "I believe, even though it's hard, having people we wish to protect is what makes a true hero."