We'll Always Have September

reality_ruins_dreams on ao3

Summary:

It had started in the middle of August... this love affair of theirs, if you'd even call it that. They were both in Spain for the summer, for different reasons, yes. But neither of them cared.

Work Text:

It had started in the middle of August... this love affair of theirs, if you'd even call it that. They were both in Spain for the summer, for different reasons, yes. But neither of them cared.

Liam was at the top of the charts with his new, record breaking album Say It Again, with three of his singles charting at Numbers 1, 2 and 3 for two months in a row. His managers told him to start preparing for a world tour, so Liam flew to Spain to maybe get a few weeks all to himself before tour life set in.

Zayn was there for work, Fashion Week in Madrid was quickly approaching. He had multiple fittings and commercials he had to film, not to mention the parties and shopping trips.

It had been a long day already for Zayn when he walked onto the pool deck; he didn't need some random 'dude' hitting on him. Sure this guy was hot, but Zayn just wasn't interested. He'd trained himself to smell douche from a mile away and this guy reeked of it. Quickly becoming annoyed with this new puppy he'd seemed to acquire, he turned to him with a fake smile on his face. "Please, if I may get a word in?" The guy nodded, stunned to silence. "I'm not interested, you're cute, yeah. But I'm afraid I don't have time."

A bitter grimace over took the guys features, "whatever, all you models are the same. Bitches." He turned, bumping Zayns shoulder hard enough that he stumbled, slipping on the edge of the pool. It took him not even a second to realize he was going down.

~~

Liam heard the screech from the other side of the pool, head snapping around to spot the boy falling backwards into the water. The frantic splashing that followed made it clear that the boy had no idea how to swim.

It was scary how fast Liam had made it over there for not even knowing the lad; he'd beaten the life guards there.

"Hey, hey, hey, calm down!" Liam wrapped his arms around the guy. Locking them in place until the splashing stopped, "Let's get you out of here yeah?" Liam hooked one arm around his back and the other around his legs as he walked carefully to the steps leading in and out of the pool.

"What's your name?" He asked gently, once he'd sat the lad down on Liam's own deck chair and wrapped the towel around his small frame.

Zayn shivered, a mixture from the shock of the cold water and from the man standing in front of him. "Zayn Malik." He brought the towel up to his lips, trying to hide the incessant chattering of his teeth.

"Liam Payne." Liam's warm brown eyes crinkled around the edges when he smiled, Zayn hardly knew the guy but he was already hooked.

"Ah, well thanks for that Liam, even though I could have found my way out eventually." Liam gave him a doubtful look before his eyes scanned the pool, taking in all the different people.

"What brings you to Madrid?" The brown eyes were resting on Zayn again, cautious.

"I'm modeling for Fashion Week; we came a bit early for prep and a little bit of relaxation before all the craziness hits. What about you?"

"Erm, I'm actually here for vacation, funny as that sounds." Liam chuckles lightly.

Zayn groans internally, jesus even his laugh is hot.

"Vacation from?"

"Everything," Liam glances at him carefully. "Just needed to get away."

"Ah, I'm familiar with the fleeing type. Running away from your problems doesn't always work, just saying." Zayn smirked at the water, refusing to meet Liam's shocked gaze.