So High, Like I'm A Star

frostbite on ao3

--------------

Theres an undeniably heavy silence that washes over.

Zayn's sitting against the doors of the van, his knees propped up as he looks over the ground sitting in a circle. There's Niall sitting across from him, a beanie over his grown-out blond hair, and a girl with pale blond hair laying with her head in his lap. Her eyes are wide and Zayn can see just how blue her eyes are from the small light at the top of the van. He watches her expressions change from a smile to the most amazed look, reaching her long pale arms out almost as if she was trying to touch the ceiling. "She's already tripping," Niall explained, rubbing his fingers through her hair as he whimpered and rolled around underneath his gasp, never talking her wide eyes off the ceiling, stroking her hands over the red velvet colored carpeting that covers the floor of the van. If Zayn had known better he would mistake himself for being in the 70's.

Beside them there was a boy with eyes like the ocean, and beside him was a boy with chocolate curls partially hidden with a dark blue beanie that covers just over his ears. Zayn notes the smaller boy's arm is snaked around his back, resting on his hip at the curly-haired-one who was later named Harry, leaned against him, pecking at his jawline shamelessly. Louis returned the favor, pressing a kiss to his lips that made Zayn's inside spin because that's exactly how they used to kiss. He shakes his head and lets out a shaky breath focusing on the sound of the rain pelting against the outside of the van. Zayn can't seem to get enough air as he prys his eyes from the sight of the two love birds, checking out the rest of the people around them. One girl with pixie cut red hair and glasses and another guy with olive skin and soft brown hair hidden underneath a snapback.

"Oi, y'all better not think of shagging in my van. Get a room ya' sickos," Niall's heavily accented voice brought Zayn's and everyone else's gaze back over to the couple. Louis' cheeks burned a bright red as he flipped him the middle finger and Harry laughed into the sleeve of his jumper. Zayn wished it was that easy when it was them.

"Since i'm president of this club, I'll go first," Niall says with a slight laugh, taking his faulty cigarette box out and fishing around for his lighter. "I don't remember taking a vote?" Louis says with a smirk, and Zayn watches the blond cock his brow. "You're right, all in favor for me to be president, say I. Oh wait, it doesn't matter because this is my van and if you don't like it you can walk your pretty ass home."

"I!" Louis cheered, reaching over and grabbing a beer from the cardboard box, popping the top and taking a swig. Zayn couldn't help but smile at that, looking down at the floor as he rubbed his fingers through the carpet. Within minutes the intoxicating scent of skunk began to fill the van and Zayn watched as Niall blew out a stream of thick smoke up to the ceiling. They skipped over the blond who was still laid next to him, handing it to Harry who placed the joint between his thumb and index finger bringing it to his lips and giving the lighter a tough flick watching the flame roar in front of him. He lit the end taking a deep breath and pulled the joint from his mouth, turning towards the older boy giving him a look. Zayn watched as Louis brought his face close and their lips barely brushed together as Harry transferred his smoke into Louis' mouth who breathed in just as deep. "Alright show offs, pass it on now," Niall ordered and Harry passed both items to him.

Zayn was no stranger to smoking. He put the joint between his lips steading it with his fingers as he lit the end of the blunt, watching as the end lit up a bright orange color as he breathed in and the thick smoke seeped down into his lungs, curling around as he held his breath. He could feel himself go dizzy as he exhaled, watching the thick stream of transparent smoke flood from his mouth. His mind went fuzzy, every time he took a breath he breathed in smoke, blinking rapidly feeling his eyes go heavy. He swallowed hard, bringing his fingers up to his chapped lips, rubbing the pads of his fingers over them noting how disgustingly dry they felt. He brought his tongue out, licking over his lips in an attempt to wet them but to no avail, cotton mouth is a bitch.