Tonight is the Night When Everything Changes

livingforamiracle ao3

Summary:

A Vegas fic, where two boys so hopelessly in love with each other, finally confess and realize it was the best decision they've ever made.

------------------

Work Text:

Zayn has always loved Liam. From the minute they'd been put in the band together he'd known that Liam was different; and soon he realized that the reason he thought that was because he'd actually fallen in love with him. That love ended up becoming stronger with every day that passed and nearly two years later it is suffocating him. He's been in love with his best mate for almost 2 years and the damn boy is so oblivious and wrapped up in his fucking girlfriend, Danielle, thatthe name alone makes him flinch in disgust.

Liam has already figured out that she'd cheated on him twice yet they've still decided that it's better to have an open relationship than stay tied down, like what is that? Why couldn't Liam just break up with her?

Liam is so much better than that. He's the definition of perfect in Zayn's books at least. He's the best kind of friend, with the biggest heart, who never fails to bring a smile to Zayn's lips. He's the best person to go to when you need comfort and he dorks around with Zayn which makes Zayn fall more in love with him all the fucking time.

Zayn should be happy because hey, things between Liam and Danielle have changed drastically, and now he definitely has a better chance to actually have Liam to himself. But unfortunately for Zayn, Liam had come to him, upset about Danielle and that'd only broken Zayn's heart more than mending it. Never the less, Zayn has been there for Liam every step of the way, cheering him up and making him laugh when things get too bad and Zayn's love for him only grows with each passing day, killing him slowly while it eats away at his heart. He's laid his heart out on the line for Liam and he doesn't know how much longer he'll be able to handle the pain.

~

No matter what people say, Liam has always loved Zayn but has been really good at hiding it. He'd realized his feelings during the X-factor and made a quick decision to avoid it as best as he could, not wanting to mess up his friendship with any of the boys; especially with Zayn, who'd become his best mate in the band in a matter of a few weeks spent together. The distraction he'd needed had come in the form of Danielle and he was beyond glad that she found interest in him because as soon as he could, he'd asked her out and almost screamed when she'd said yes.

It's been about a year and a half now and things have gone downhill significantly. He'd thought that maybe Danielle could have been special, someone who'd stick around but he'd been wrong. She's been with him for the fame and money, promptly cheating on him twice only to have Liam figure out at the worst time possible.

Yes he'd been upset but he's been expecting it because they are separated so often and the feelings between them are slowly diminishing over time. Yes, they'll go on vacations together but that's more Liam trying to make things work, but more importantly, him trying to hide behind his good boy image that is slowly starting to suffocate him as well.

When Liam had found out about the cheating he'd gone straight to Zayn and the boy had been his saving grace for months now. They were the best of mates and now it seems like that relationship has reached a whole new level. This push forward with their friendship has only brought about the hidden feelings Liam has harbored for Zayn and they began to swirl around in his body, confusing him beyond belief because he just doesn't know if he should be feeling this way anymore.

There are times where he feels like Zayn may feel the same way about him, but then he'd be flirting with these other girls, hooking up with them even which only makes Liam's doubts worse, causing him to try and make things work even more between him and Danielle though he's started to resent her in many ways.