One step program

Credit: http://wordgasmic.livejournal.com/19597.html (this was on ao3)

Summary: Liam has been trying to get Zayn to stop smoking since the very beginning, to no avail. But now that they finally got together, he thinks he's found the perfect incentive: sex.

-

Chapter Text

The smoking isn't necessarily something that bothers Liam in theory. But the reality of it, that gets to him. There have been times ― bad days ― that he's stood by and watched Zayn puff his way through half a dozen cigarettes in one sitting, watching him go from completely wound up to fully relaxed. It's times like that when Liam can see the allure in it, but at the same time, the addiction is terrifying to him, how for Zayn just a few draws of the nicotine can loosen all the tension that's built up in his shoulders.

Even how he smokes the cigarettes changes. When it's a stress reliever, his lips will be tight around the filter, thin lines as he sucks in sharp, harsh breaths, letting out the smoke in straight, quick streams. Once he starts to calm, he stops choking them down so desperately, until eventually he's doing nothing more than letting it dangle precariously from the corner of his lax lips. And when he's simply craving one, tired and shaky, he practically makes love with them, going slow so it'll last, to enjoy it entirely.

Liam gets it, he does. Sometimes he even catches himself finding the habit attractive, and liking the way it can change Zayn's demeanor when he's moody and how it seems to make him happy. Liam knows though, in the long run Zayn's love affair with nicotine won't end well.

There's such a wide array of side affects ― dangerous, terrible things that could not only end Zayn's career, but his life as well.

And that is something that Liam is definitely not okay with.

The need to get Zayn to quit smoking has been with Liam from the time he learned of Zayn's addiction. He's been gentle about it, pleading, but it's never done much good. Or any at all.

When Zayn quits, he manages for about a week without. And everyone feels the backlash, though generally the person to insistently push him to give it up feels the brunt of it. Which is only fair, Liam thinks. The other boys aren't quite so generous.

In the past, Liam's been the only one to get Zayn all the way through a full month without a single cigarette ― an honest true month, too, no cheats or slips, Liam is certain. Even during the worst of Zayn's moods, he was there, unlike Louis who would shout ― "Go have a smoke then, you whiny twat." ― and Harry who was far too indulgent, giving in at the slightest of pleas from a wide-eyed Zayn, and Niall who just didn't see much of a problem with it in the first place, as long as it wasn't out of control. So it's up to Liam really, always has been. And he doesn't mind, not once he figures out how exactly to get Zayn to quit for good.

They're both crammed into Liam's bunk on the tour bus, and neither of them has any room to move, but it's okay, Liam's happy with that. Zayn has his back to the wall, one arm and one leg thrown over Liam, and it's comfortable, warm. The curtain's pulled shut so the boys will leave them alone for a bit, not that the barrier would stop them anyway, but for once, the others are allowing them their privacy. They're about half an hour out from the venue yet, they've been told, and Liam plans to use that time to his advantage ― meaning he doesn't plan on moving.

Zayn, unfortunately, has other ideas. "I'm gonna grab a smoke quick," he says, nudging Liam in the ribs.

Liam's not exactly sleeping, just enjoying the quiet and the shared space with Zayn, but he doesn't bother to open his eyes to protest, just frowns and makes a disapproving sound in his throat.