Chapter 2

HURRICANE MITCH HITS AND DESTROYS THE SMALL ISLAND OF HAITI.

By L.M.Taurus

2/17/0026UWC

24 hours before headline

Kara walked down a beat up street in the island of Haiti in her world military scout armor. The armor was purple and lean while Esme was bulkier. There was a letter v on the right breast plate of her armor, identifying her as the vice leader of her squad. There were large military howlers up and down the street, but she stood outside by herself. Howlers were the modern day cars created by a genius from the great war.

She continued to walk down the street as she scanned the small houses. The houses were made out of stone and looked strong but that's not going to matter when the hurricane hits and floods them.

Kara's mission was to take all of the civilians to shelters before the hurricane hits land. Kara and her men were now in the mountains getting what was left of the civilians who hadn't left for the shelters yet.

A soldier came up to Kara. "Ma'am, we're all cleared here."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Have we heard from my squadmates?"

"Leonie is all finished up with her section. Irma is running a little behind, but she should be done before the hurricane hits."

"What about Celeste? Has she not arrived in Haiti yet? I was counting on her help around the border of Haiti and the Dominican Republic."

"Her ship is supposed to be arriving as we speak."

"Alright. Take me to her right away."

"Yes ma'am," said the soldier with a salute.

****

It took an hour to arrive at the port but at least the drive was easy due to no one being on the road. It seemed as if the airship had arrived not so long ago because there were still people unloading things. The sky was dark but it hadn't started raining yet.

Kara quickly got out of her vehicle and made her way to the airship. Everyone stopped what they were doing and saluted Kara as she passed by.

"Where is Celeste?" called out Kara to someone on the airship.

"She made her way inside," said a man on the ship as he gestured towards headquarters.

Kara didn't stop her stride as she made her way to headquarters. She entered the building and found no one. The building was quiet which was strange. Then she heard something coming from a nearby bathroom.

"Hello," said Kara as she entered the bathroom. Someone turned a water faucet on and Kara walked around the corner to find Celeste washing her face. "Hey."

Celeste splashed a bunch of water on her face and looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes were red. "Yes Kara."

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," said Celeste as she finished washing her hands.

"What took you so long to get here?"

"Sorry," said Celeste as she turned the water faucet off. "Had some personal problems delayed me. I promise it won't happen again." She was about to walk past Kara when she grabbed her by the arm.

"Were you crying?" asked Kara.

Celeste shrugged Kara off. "Doesn't matter. I'm fine now. We have a mission to do, right. Let's get moving." She walked out and Kara followed. "What's our current situation? Has anyone evacuated my section yet?"