Chapter 7

AN ANTI-REFUGEE MOVEMENT FINDS ITS LEADER IN CHARISMATIC BRODIE NOBLE.

By L.M.Taurus

7/9/0026UWC

48 hours before headline

Luan Dlamini took it upon himself to go to Toronto, Canada and see how the Haitian refugees were doing. Luan didn't have a specific assignment since he became world military leader and decided to roam around the world, experiencing other cultures.

Luan Dlamini was of South African descent and lived there until he joined the world military. When he graduated from the academy, he was assigned to Esme's squad and they moved up the ranks quite quickly. He was very close to his squadmates and it was no surprise they all clicked well.

The thing Luan loved the most of being a part of the world military was traveling the world. As a world military leader, this gave him more opportunities to travel wherever he wanted.

Luan walked down a busy street in his world military leader armor. Luan specialised as a spartan so his armor was bulky. Add to the fact Luan was six feet two inches, he looked like a force walking down the street.

Most people ignored him as he passed. Some would stop him and ask which member of the world military leaders he was. Some guessed it right. Some thought he was Cairo Zakaria. Luan was polite and entertained everyone.

The reason why some people in Canada didn't know who he was exactly was due to the fact that North America and a good portion of South America had lost the power to electricity during the great war almost three decades ago. That's the reason steam power was so big in this part of the world. This was the place you would find howlers as vehicles and airships in the sky. This place was like another world for Luan who grew up in South Africa.

Luan reached his destination, a shelter for the Haitian refugees who were relocated to Toronto. He entered the facility and for the first time since he arrived in Canada, everyone stopped what they were doing to stare at him.

"Hi everyone," he said.

A crowd formed around him. They greeted him, thanked him, and asked him multiple questions. He was overwhelmed when a woman came to his rescue.

"Okay, that's enough of all that," said the woman and everyone stopped. "Sir," she said to Luan. "You can follow me to my office." She led the way and Luan followed. Once they entered her office, she closed the door behind them. "What brings you to our shelter today Mr. Dlamini."

"You recognise me," said Luan.

"Of course I do. I like to know who are the people governing the world and who helped my people." She gestured to a chair. "Take a seat."

Luan took a seat and she sat behind her desk across from him. "You're Haitian?"

"I am. My name is Esterline. I'm one of the many refugees brought to this country."

"I don't know why I thought the person in charge of this shelter would be a Canadian."

"It was at first, but then they gave me the job since everyone respects me. Everything has been running a little more smoothly."

"As in, it wasn't before?"

"There were hiccups, but nothing we couldn't handle. We're safe here. What brings you here by the way?"

"This exactly," said Luan. "I wanted to see how the refugees were doing. I wanted to know if you guys were safe and being looked after."

"We're safe as long as we're here," answered Esterline.