Chapter 18

THE WORLD MILITARY VS DEPENDENCY. WHO'S ACTUALLY WINNING?

By L.M.Taurus

6/18/0027 UWC

12 hours after headline

Kara, Esme and Arlo sat inside a vehicle outside a harbor bar in England. Esme read the United Global while Arlo stared out at the harbor bar. Kara was in the driver's seat with her head down.

"Are we sure McKnight is in there?" asked Arlo as he continued to stare at the bar.

"Yelena said his father owns the place," answered Kara. "He helps his father with the place when he's in town and we got news he is indeed in town."

"Doesn't guarantee he'll show up."

"I guess that's true, but here we are anyway." Kara looked at Esme and noticed she was so concentrated on the newspaper, she paid them no mind. Kara snatched the paper away.

"Hey," protested Esme.

"Stop reading that paper," said Kara. "All it does is put you in a bad mood."

"That's not always true," said Esme. "And that article wasn't actually all bad."

"THE WORLD MILITARY VS DEPENDENCY. WHO'S ACTUALLY WINNING?" read Kara out loud. "You're telling me this article isn't talking shit about us? The headline itself is an insult. It insinuates we're not doing well and Dependency are our equals."

"I don't understand why any of you read that thing," said Arlo, his sights still outside.

"I understand why you don't read it," said Kara. "That paper has never said anything good about you."

"And I still don't care."

"I'll give you the headline reads bad, but the article itself says while Dependency has had a couple of small victories, the world military leaders always manage to push them back," said Esme.

"I don't know Esme," said Kara. "Do you believe we've won any true battles against them? Luan is still in the hospital. We haven't taken down a single one of their leaders. We don't even know who their leader actually is."

Arlo finally broke his sight from outside and looked at Kara. "Well damn, how do you really feel, Kara?" he asked.

"I'm just saying we need an actual victory against these guys. I don't like it when somebody hurts my friends."

"We'll get them," said Esme. "And Luan is going to be fine."

"Yeah," said Kara. "I know."

Arlo reached up front and grabbed the newspaper. "Has Yelena checked on the writer yet?"

"She did," answered Esme. "Confirmed she wasn't part of Dependency."

"Hmpt," said Arlo. "Is it wrong that I'm disappointed she's not one of the bad guys? How about the other girl, Lillian?"

"Yelena wasn't able to find her. Her first name wasn't enough."

"Oh well. I guess that's something we can ask McKnight if we see him. Speak of the devil. Look who it is." Arlo pointed outside where McKnight walked across the street and to the bar.

"Let's go," said Kara as she got out of the car.

"Wait, what?" said Arlo as he got out and followed her. "I thought I was going to do this by myself."

Esme lowered the window of the vehicle. "You're going to do this together?" said Esme.

"Don't trust me?"