Chapter 32

WHO ARE THE THREE NEW ARMORED WOMEN FIGHTING AGAINST DEPENDENCY?

By L.M.Taurus

8/1/0028 UWC

16 hours after headline

Lete finished writing her letter and sealed it in an envelope. She looked to the side at the Agent of Dependency mask lying on her motel bed. She went to her closet and found the Agent of Dependency armor. She put the armor on and a cloak over it. She grabbed the mask and headed out.

It was late at night. There was no one to be seen. She walked down the street and put the letter she wrote in a mailbox.

"Who was that for?" asked someone from behind.

She turned around and found a man wearing an Agent of Dependency mask. "None of your business."

"Careful who you talk to like that," said the Agent as he approached her.

She pulled out her dagger and with a quick motion had it up to the guy's neck. "You should be careful with how you speak to me." She pulled out her Agent of Dependency mask. "I have the same mask, meaning we are equals and I don't have to explain shit to you."

The Agent put his hands up in the air. "Alright. Alright. I didn't know."

Lete took a step back, pulling her dagger away. "You didn't know who I was yet you still approached me."

"You're in Dependency territory," said the Agent. "I was just trying to talk to a pretty girl with similar beliefs."

"So you threaten me?"

"I thought the show of power would impress."

"It makes you look like an asshole."

"Some girls like that and you seem the type."

"I'm the type to cut your balls off in your sleep so don't ever approach me like that again."

The Agent gulped. "Understood."

Lete walked off while the Agent followed a couple of steps behind. She stopped and looked back at him. "What do you think you're doing?"

"We're going to the same place, the meeting."

"Don't follow me." She gestured for him to walk ahead.

He walked past her. "You should put your mask on. The boss doesn't like us showing our faces to one another."

"Psst," she spat. "Like the boss is going to be at the meeting."

"You never know."

The two of them entered an empty middle school. They continued to walk inside the building until they reached a teacher's conference room. Inside the room they found four other members of Dependency.

Lete looked around the room. There were students' desks around the room and the Agents were all sitting at one. Three of the people were wearing the Agent of Dependency masks. She recognized the fourth member who had his mask on the table. It was Otto Kallstrom meaning the other female in the room had to be his sister, Mercy.

"Yo," said Otto.

"Yo," said Lete as she put her mask on.

"I remember you," said Mercy. "Lete, was it?"

"Correct," said Lete as she took a seat. "I remember you too, Mercy Kallstrom."

"Names," yelled an Agent who had his head down on his desk. "Don't use names."

"Why not," said Mercy. "We're all friends here."

The Agent slammed his hand down on the desk and raised his head, revealing a gold mask. "Because those are the rules." He stood up and walked to the front of the class. "And the rules need to be followed."

"Nice mask," said Otto. "Is that supposed to mean something?"

"It means I'm THE Agent of Dependency. And put your damn mask on."

Otto put his mask on.

"So you're the big boss," said Mercy. "Nice to finally meet you."

A woman wearing a gold Agent of Dependency mask entered the room. "Actually, I'm the big boss." She put a hand on the Agent of Dependency. "This man right here is my general."

"Ooh-la-la, a lady boss," said Otto. "I can dig it."

"And what do we call you?" asked Mercy. "Lady Dependency?"

She took her mask off. "You can call me Ms. Danti."

"What happened to the mask rule?" asked Mercy. "Are we just throwing that out of the window?"

"The mask rule still applies to all of you," said Ms. Danti. "The reason I'm not wearing a mask is because I'm no longer going to be hiding."

"Meaning?" asked Lete.

"Meaning I'm going to become a more prominent figure in society and you're going to be seeing my face all over the place in the near future."

"Is that the reason you called this meeting?" asked Mercy. "To reveal your identity to us?"

"No," said Ms. Danti. "I called this meeting because we have to do something about this." She tossed an old newspaper in front of Mercy.

Mercy grabbed the newspaper and read the headline out loud. "IS IT A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE DEPENDENCY IS DESTROYED?"

"That article talks about how two groups of people are going to be our eventual downfall. The six of you are going to prove them wrong." Ms. Danti pointed at Otto, Mercy and the Agent of Dependency. "You three are going to attack Haiti and destroy everything the world military has rebuilt." She threw today's newspaper at the Agent of Dependency. "And I want you to deal with those three girls as well." She then pointed to Lete, the Agent who arrived with her and the last Agent who had been silent all meeting. "You three are going to attack the world military leader, Luka Urban."