Chapter 38

JACMEL SAINT AND HIS TEAM CROSS THE LINE

By L.M.Taurus

2/13/0029 UWC

11 hours before headline

Luan sat outside of the safe house provided to Brodie Noble while in Haiti. Luan wasn't alone as undercover policemen worked around the house as gardeners.

A howler pulled up in front of the house and Luan reached for his blade. The police officers also reached for their weapons. Luan stood up as Cairo and Kara got out of the howler. Luan released his blade and the officer continued pretending to work.

"I wasn't expecting you," said Luan. "Welcome to Haiti." He shook Cairo's hand.

"Thanks," said Cairo. "I'm sorry about this. Jacmel was my protege. I should have seen this coming."

"Not your fault. I'm more annoyed with you," said Luan as he glared at Kara.

"What are you mad at me for?"

"Why do I keep being assigned to protect this jackass? You know I don't like him."

"It's not my fault he gets along with you the most."

"People think I'm one of his supporters," said Luan. "Do you know how annoying that is?"

"It can't be helped," said Kara. "Just your luck. Maybe you should take a soak in some holy water. Wash that luck off of yourself."

"Already tried that. Got some funny looks from the nuns and I'm still stuck here babysitting the jackass."

Cairo laughed and Kara looked at him. "What? That was funny."

"But seriously," said Luan. "If I get killed protecting this guy, I'm haunting you and Esme for the rest of your lives."

"Noted," said Kara. "Is he inside?"

"Where else would he be?"

"Take me to him. I need to talk to him."

"Follow me," said Luan as he led them inside. They found Brodie Noble in the kitchen writing something in his notebook. "Brodie, you have guests."

Brodie looked up. "Three world military leaders here to see me," said Brodie. "What an honor."

"What's this I hear that you're planning a protest at the Mexican embassy today?" asked Kara.

"Excuse me?" said Luan. "When the hell did he do that?"

"I had one of the officers put in the order," answered Brodie. "Is there a problem with that?"

Luan pinched the temple of his nose.

"Of course there's a problem with that," said Kara. "Someone very dangerous threatened to assassinate you. Never mind the other people who already tried. And you're planning to go protesting again. Are you stupid?"

"No, Ms. Saud," said Brodie. "I'm courageous. I'm honorable and I'm not going to let some terrorists get in my way of preaching to my people's rights."

"You're in Haiti, why not do it in your own country."

"Haiti is where the people who can make a difference are at. Hence the three of you and the President of Mexico, Delfina."

"Don't try arguing with him," said Luan. "It's pointless."

"I'm not here to argue with you," said Kara as she got closer to Brodie, standing over him. "I'm here to tell you your protest isn't going to happen and you're not leaving this safe house."