Chapter 26

MEXICO ATTACKED BY DEPENDENCY

By L.M.Taurus

2/6/0028 UWC

13 hours before headline

Kara stormed the president's estate as Luan followed. Some of the royal guards tried to stop her but she passed right through them. Some of them didn't know what to do since Kara and Delfina were both technically their superiors.

"Sorry," said Luan with a bow. "I promise we are not here to assassinate your leader," he joked as he tried to keep up with Kara. "Kara, you need to calm down."

"No," said Kara as she slammed open the door of Delfina's office.

Delfina sat at her table as Aracely unsheathed her sword. Kara was about to grab her blade as well when Luan grabbed her wrist.

"We're not here for a fight," said Luan.

"Speak for yourself," said Kara, her eyes on Aracely. "I think I can use a fight."

"Princess Kara," said Delfina. "What do you think you're doing?"

"I was here to ask you the same thing," said Kara. "Where do you get off telling my squadmates to leave Haiti?"

"Is that what all this excitement is about," said Delfina as she stood up. "I didn't force them to leave. I just told them their services were no longer needed. Nothing for you to get so out of sorts over."

"You want to see me get out of sorts." Kara tried to pull out her sword but Luan tightened his grip around her wrist.

"Kara," he whispered. "This is no way for you to act."

"Luan," said Delfina. "It's good to see you up and about after your incident with Dependency. I was worried there that you were on your way to a forced retirement."

"Ha," said Luan as he released Kara and put his hands behind his back. "It's going to take a lot more to retire me. I plan on being around for a long time."

"I hope for your sake, that's true," said Delfina. "Now what brings you to my office? I hope it wasn't for that childish outburst."

Kara glared at Aracely who still had her blade out. She turned her attention to Delfina. "I'm getting tired of your attitude towards my squadmates. If you have a problem with me, here I am. Get it off your chest."

"Kara!" protested Luan.

Delfina was not intimidated. "I'll be honest, I thought you were better than this. I can't believe you actually came to my country to pick a fight."

"Not what we're here for," said Luan.

"Speak for yourself," said Kara. "I can smack around the president of Mexico."

Aracely took a step between Kara and Delfina. "Threaten Delfina again and you'll force my move."

"I'm not afraid of you," said Kara as she pulled her sword out.

"Holy shit," yelled Luan. "We're supposed to be leaders. What's with this catty attitude?" Everyone glared at him.

Delfina took a seat. "Women fight and we're catty. Men fight and it's manly bravado." Delfina glared at Luan. "Now I dislike you more than the undeserving princess. Aracely, sheath your sword. We're not going to fight here. The princess would never dare assassinate a world leader in front of her partner." Aracely sheathed her blade.

"I wasn't going to assassinate you," said Kara as she put her sword away. "I was just going to remind you of the definition of respect."

"Respect is earned, princess, and that's something you have not done."

"That goes both ways," said Kara. "Where do you get off kicking out Leonie and Ji-hun from Haiti. Especially after all the work they've done there. You think you can just come in and take credit for all their work."

"I don't know what credit you are talking about. Two years to rebuild half an island. Constant attacks from a small group calling themselves Dependency." Delfina couldn't help but laugh a bit. "Ridiculous name. And you still haven't been able to take them down. I'm sorry princess, but there is no credit to steal from you world military leaders."

"I see why no one likes you," said Luan.

"I don't care. Now if you don't mind, get out."

A blast hit the window, shattering glass all over the office. Aracely went to Delfina's aid, using her body as a shield. Kara and Luan used their shields to block the glass. Aracely was getting ready to attack the world military leaders as they went to the window.

"Was this you?" asked Delfina.

"Of course not," said Kara.

"It's Dependency," said Luan as he looked down at an Agent of Dependency and his men.

Delfina and Aracely went to the window and saw the Agent. Aracely stood between Delfina and the world military leaders. "Why are they attacking me?" asked Delfina. "They must be here for you," she said as she looked at Kara.

"Take your president to safety," Kara ordered Aracely. "We'll handle Dependency."

Kara and Luan made their way outside where they found Dependency fighting Mexico's royal guards. The royal guards were putting down Dependency when the Agent of Dependency used his arm-cannon on one of them.

The royal guard fell back with a hole in his chest. Kara went to check on him, but there was nothing she could do for him.

"The world military leaders," exclaimed the Agent of Dependency. "But why are you here?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing," said Kara as she stood straight up.

"Mexico has to pay a debt to the world," said the Agent of Dependency. "We supported their refugees and helped rebuild their country. It's time Mexico pays its debt to the world and we are here to remind them what happens if they don't."

"This fucking guy," said Kara as she approached him.

The Agent of Dependency fired his arm-cannon at her. She jumped out of the way. "Retreat," he yelled to his men. "Message has been sent."

Dependency ran off as Luan and the royal guards tried to stop them. Kara took chase after the Agent of Dependency. They ran through alleys. Agent of Dependency would fire his arm-cannon at Kara, and she would be forced to back off.

Last blast came too close to Kara, damaging her arm. As she checked on her arm, she lost sight of the Agent of Dependency. She ran around the corner but there was no sight of him. She was about to return when someone struck her in the back, knocking her down.

Kara was having a hard time staying conscious as the person grabbed her by the back. She couldn't see who the person was as they put a knife up to her neck.

"I want you to remember," said a muffled voice. "I came this close to killing you." The person slammed Kara's face into the ground then pulled her back up, the knife back at her throat. "Retire and go back to your country. You have no business being a world military leader." The person punched Kara in the back of the head, knocking her out.