Chapter 25

MEXICO MAKES ITS PRESENCE KNOWN IN HAITI.

By L.M.Taurus

1/6/0028 UWC

16 hours before headlines

Leonie and Ji-hun stood at the bridge of an airship as it flew over the island of Haiti. The country had been rebuilt and its citizens were now able to return.

"It looks so beautiful," said Leonie.

"I never got the chance to see Haiti after its destruction," said Ji-hun. "I can't help but wonder if I let these people down."

"Don't think like that. You were helping in your own way in the other countries. I think these people know what you've done for them."

"I feel like my country let them down and in doing so, so did I. I still haven't avenged the Haitian who died in my country."

"I'm sure you will one day." Leonie continued to admire the island. "You know after the destruction, the island still had a different type of beauty. A natural one. That was also nice to see."

"You've done a lot for these people," said Ji-hun. "Overseeing the reconstruction of their country. I bet they really love you."

"Maybe, but when it comes to the both of us, I think you're more respected around the world."

"Why do you say that?"

"Just the truth. There are certain members in our squad who are just better than the rest. We have the elites like you, Fyn and Esme. Then you have the literal prince and princesses. Then you have the ones who are just lucky to be here."

"Excuse me," said Ji-hun, not believing what he heard. "Don't do that. Don't ever do that. You are an important member of this team and you have been excelling at your job more than the rest of us, especially more than me."

"Maybe for now."

"No, don't ever put yourself down. You've always been great. The squad is lucky to have you. This country is lucky to have you. And the world is lucky to have you. I don't ever want to hear you put yourself down again."

Allegra arrived on the bridge. "Ma'am," said Allegra as she stood behind the world military leaders. "There's a group of airships coming. They have the Mexican flag."

"I wonder why they're here," said Leonie.

"Probably to admire the work you've done," said Ji-hun.

"I doubt that," said Leonie. She raised a finger before Ji-hun could protest. "I'm not putting myself down. I just know Mexico's leader doesn't think highly of us. Allegra, tell the captain to turn the ship around. We'll meet the Mexicans at port."

"Yes ma'am." Allegra was about to leave when she stopped. "Ma'am," she said, then turned to Ji-hun. "Sir, we are lucky to have both of you as leaders. I pray we continue to have you as leaders for many years to come."

Ji-hun was so surprised by Allegra's words that he didn't know what to say.

"Thank you, Allegra," said Leonie. "I appreciate the kind words." Allegra left and Leonie turned to Jin-hun who still had a surprised expression on his face. "See, these people know you've done everything you can for them. You haven't failed them."

"But I'm nothing compared to what you've done," said Ji-hun.

"Team effort I guess," said Leonie. "Let's see what the Mexicans want."

****

Leonie, Ji-hun, Jenniflore and Calixte stood at the harbor port as the Mexicans arrived. Leonie and Ji-hun wore their world military armors.

"What do you think they're here for?" asked Calixte.

"Probably to take credit for your work," joked Ji-hun.

"These people have a lot of nerve," said Jenniflore.

"I was joking," said Ji-hun. "I doubt they're here for that."

"Still," said Jenniflore. "It has been almost two years since that hurricane destroyed our country and now that we've rebuilt, Mexico wants to come here." She spat on the floor. "Screw these people."

"Be nice Jenniflore," said Leonie, but not being able to withhold a smile from her face.

Delfina, Andres and Aracely came down the ramp and approached the world military leaders. They stopped in front of them, serious looks on their faces. Andres was the one to break the silence.

"I'm sorry if I get this wrong but," he pointed at Leonie. "You are Leonie," he then pointed at Ji-hun. "And you're Mun Ji-hun."

"Correct," said Ji-hun.

"Nice," said Andres with a clap. He offered his hand to them. "It's nice to see you guys again. You probably don't remember me. I'm Andres Cordero, husband of president Delfina."

"No, I remember you," said Ji-hun as he shook his hand.

Leonie's sights were on Delfina who had a serious look on her face. "Ms. Cordero," said Leonie. "I'm sorry, but we weren't expecting you. What brings you here today?"

"Good," said Delfina as she took her white gloves off. "Right to the point. We can skip the pleasantries. Mexico is ready to fulfill its duty to Haiti and we'll be taking over the operation of bringing its people back home."

"Alright, said Leonie. "You can help with that."

"We're not going to help," corrected Delfina. "We're going to do. Your presence isn't going to be needed here anymore. We'll take over from now on."

"It doesn't work like that," said Ji-hun. "This is a world military job. You can help, but we are still in charge here."

"Not necessarily," said Delfina. She snapped her fingers at one of her staff members and pointed to one of the airships. "You can welcome the Haitians back to their home. Since they had the privilege to stay in Mexico, they'll have first say where their homes will be." The staff member left.

"I think I'll go help with that," said Andres, choosing to leave the awkwardness in front of him.

Delfina returned her attention to the world military leaders. "As you can see, I can handle this job by myself. We already have our first batch of refugees returning home." She turned to Ji-hun. "The very ones you failed to protect."

Ji-hun gritted his teeth and tightened his fist. He noticed Aracely grip her sword.

"Don't look so angry," said Delfina. "I'm doing you a favor. You can now put all your efforts into taking down that annoyance of a terrorist group. Oh I forget their name."

"Dependency," said Aracely.

"Right, Dependency," said Delfina. "What a stupid name. But you can now put all your concentration into bringing them down. I'm sure it's going to be a bit difficult considering they're not going to have any refugees to target with the Haitian returning home." Delfina walked away from the world military leaders and her men followed. "Good luck with your future affairs."

Leonie, Ji-hun, Jenniflore and Calixte watched as Delfina walked away. "I can't believe that woman," said Leonie.

"What a bitch," said Jenniflore.

"Agreed," said Ji-hun.