Chapter 5

WORLD MILITARY LEADER CAIRO ZAKARIA FINDS A PRODIGY IN A HAITIAN REFUGEES.

By L.M.Taurus

5/31/0026UWC

1 week before the headline

Cairo was the oldest of the world military leaders and the one with the most experience. It was no surprise that he would be put in charge of training certain new recruits at the world military academy.

Currently he was located at Fort Belo in Argentina. He took interest in this location because it took in Haitian refugees. These refugees enlisted of course, but most didn't have any other choice. They lost their home.

Cairo wasn't really a hands-on trainer. He watched the trainees carefully but none stood up so far until Jacmel Saint.

Jacmel was a new recruit and an Haitian refugee. He excelled in his classes and was quite the fighter. He was also very likable. He made quick friends and was on his way of being the spokesman of his class. He was a bit of a trickster. He quickly became the class clown.

Cairo saw a lot of potential in Jacmel. In Cairo's eyes, Jacmel could possibly become a great leader or a great member to a royal squad. Time will tell what would become of Jacmel.

****

It was late one night and Cairo read a letter from Esme. She was basically venting the hardships of being a world military leader and asking for advice. Cairo wrote back and assured her she was doing a good job. She handled what happened in Haiti masterfully and that Irma set a great example in front of the world. He finished off the letter that if she ever needs him nearby, just call for him. He'll be at her side at a moment's notice.

Cairo put the letter in an envelope and sealed it with the world military seal. Cairo got out of his room and walked the dark halls of the academy. He decided to get some air and went outside. He heard a noise coming from the yard. He made his way to the noise which led him to the training yard.

Cairo found Jacmel hitting one of the punching bags. Jacmel hadn't noticed Cairo's presence and continued his assault. It was an impressive combination he handed to the punching bag that it caused Cairo to whistle. Jacmel quickly turned.

"Sir," said Jacmel with a bow. "I didn't know you were there."

Cairo went over to the punching bag and put a hand on it. "You really showed this bag a thing or two. I think it can use a break." Cairo smiled at Jacmel, who he could tell was tense around him.

"I'm sorry sir," said Jacmel. "I'll go right back to my room."

"Wait a sec, kid. Do you usually train this late at night?"

"Actually, I like to think of it as training early in the morning."

Cairo looked at his watch and saw it was 3:30am. "This is really early. I haven't even slept yet."

"I had a couple of hours of sleep," said Jacmel. "So I'm rested."

"Do you usually train this early in the morning?"

"It's something I recently started. This is my fourth day of doing this."

"And you're not tired out when you have to take your usual classes."

"Actually, it gives me a lot more energy throughout the day."

"Interesting," said Cairo. "I can't imagine that would work for me too. I really do need my sleep."

"Was I keeping you up, sir?"

"Oh no. I can't hear you from my room. I was doing world military leader work."

"I got to meet one of your teammates when I was in Haiti."

"Which one?"

"Your medic, Leonie." Jacmel raised his left leg sleeve to reveal a nasty scar on his calf. "I got hurt trying to escape from the hurricane. She patched me up pretty good."

"That must have been a traumatic experience, the hurricane."

"I've been through worse. Growing up in Haiti could sometimes be a struggle. Went through a lot more traumatic stuff than hurricane Mitch."

"Sorry."

"Don't be. It's made me the man I am today and thanks to the help of the world military, I'm now here training to become part of it." Jacmel straightened his posture. "Sir, I want to personally say thank you and your squad for coming to my home and saving my people from their hardship." He bowed.

Cairo was caught by surprise by the gesture and didn't know what to say. "You're welcome," was the only thing he could think of. Cairo went over to where the lockers were and grabbed some wraps. "What would you say if we spar for a bit?"

"You want to spar with me?" said Jacmel as he pointed at himself.

"Why not?" said Cairo as he wrapped his hands and looked at Jacmel. "Maybe you can learn a thing or two. I guarantee you'll learn more from me than that bag."

"It would be an honor."

Cairo put some boxing gloves on and got in the middle of the yard. Jacmel went to stand across from him. The two got into a fighting stance.

"Any rules?" asked Jacmel.

"Basic boxing rules except we go for as long as we can. I want to see what you got, so do your best."

"Yes sir. On your mark."

"Go," said Cairo, moving forward and striking Jacmel on the side of his stomach.

The hit hurt Jacmel, but he recovered and tried to counterattack only to be parried away. The two fought for almost seven minutes straight at a decent speed. Jacmel got a couple of hits in but Cairo was the superior fighter.

"That'll be enough," said Cairo, calling the fight off.

"I can.... keep going," managed to say Jacmel through deep breaths.

"Are you sure about that?"

Jacmel went down to one knee. "No. I think I had enough," he said with a cough and a laugh.

Cairo stood over Jacmel as he took his gloves off. "You're a little sloppy but you have a lot of potential. Have you decided what you're going to specialise at?"

"Huh?"

"Like are you going to be a spartan, a scout, or maybe a medic."

"I'm not sure yet," said Jacmel as he sat down on the ground. "I was thinking of either a spartan or a sniper."

"Alright," said Cairo as he unwrapped his hands. "I can train you on being a spartan, but that doesn't mean you have to settle for that as your specialty. But I will make you the best spartan fighter you can be."

"Really?"

"Yes, I think you have potential for it."

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me," said Cairo. "My training is not going to be easy. Our session will be every other day at 4am, starting tomorrow. 3:30am is way too early for me." Cairo began to walk off. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yes sir," said Jacmel, looking at Cairo with admiration.