Chapter 20

WORLD MILITARY LEADER FYN CYR IN CRITICAL CONDITION AFTER FIGHT WITH DEPENDENCY.

By L.M.Taurus

8/8/0027 UWC

36 hours before headline

Lete stood in front of a bathroom mirror as she washed blood off of her hands. She scrubbed as hard as she could causing more pain. The blood was hers from repeatedly punching someone. She finally stopped scrubbing, taking a good look at herself in the mirror. She had purple hair, a lot of black mascara under her eyes and an emerald nose ring. She looked like trouble and that's exactly what she wanted, the don't mess with me look.

There was a knock on the door. "Everything okay in there?" asked McKnight from outside of the bathroom.

Lete opened the door and shoved her way through McKnight. "Everything is peachy."

McKnight grabbed her wrist before she could get too far. He brought her wrist close as he observed her injuries. "These are the hands of a fighter," said McKnight, bringing her hand up and giving it a kiss. "I don't know if I've said this before, but thank you for what you did back home. I don't know if I would have been able to get out of there if it wasn't for you." He released her hand.

"You're welcome," said Lete. She walked over to one of the beds in their shitty motel room and sat down. "How much money did we earn last night, anyways?"

"Five hundred," answered McKnight. "I still wish you would have let me fight instead," he said as he sat in the other bed.

"It had to be me," said Lete. "The payout is bigger when I'm the fighter."

"Yes, yes, I know," said McKnight. "Odds are higher against you."

"What's the plan?"

"First thing we have to do is get out of this country and go to America," said McKnight. "The lack of electricity can only help us."

"Help you," corrected Lete. "The world military doesn't know who I am. It's your face that's in the media."

"It's not my fault they found me out," said McKnight.

"It's not your fault you left an Agent of Dependency's mask at your father's bar. What were you thinking?"

"I wasn't."

"No kidding. You're so lucky I was there to save your ass."

"Quick thinking, putting that mask on as well."

"Being unidentifiable is the only way we get to keep operating."

"Careful Lete," said McKnight. "This is my team, not yours. Hence why I have an Agent of Dependency mask and you don't."

"You already told me," said Lete as she stood up. "I have to earn a mask first before I can truly call myself an Agent of Dependency." She went over to the window and peeked outside. "How much money in total do we have?"

McKnight reached between the covers and pulled out a wad of cash. He counted the money as Lete watched. "Almost three grand."

"My guy can get us on an airship with two point five grand each," said Lete. "At the pace we're going, the world military is going to catch us before we get out of Scotland."

"Maybe you should let me go on ahead and I'll buy you a ticket to reunite in America later."

"Fat chance. I'm sorry McKnight, but I don't trust you. I want an introduction with the real Agent of Dependency."

"I am the real Agent of Dependency."

"See, this is why I don't trust you."

"What? I am."