Chapter 34

IS LUAN DLAMINI A BRODIE NOBLE SYMPATHIZER?

By L.M.Taurus

10/1/0028 UWC

39 hours before headline

Luan couldn't believe his eyes as he looked out the window at the man giving a speech outside the Mexican embassy in Haiti. He was so shocked by the sight he didn't hear someone call out his name.

"Luan," repeated Kara as she tapped his shoulder.

"Huh," he said, turning to face the five other world military leaders. Behind him were Kara, Irma, Ji-hun, Leonie and Esme. "What did I miss?" he asked.

"You'll be in charge of looking after Brodie Noble," ordered Esme.

"What? Why me? I don't even like that guy."

"Because you have the best relationship with that guy."

"Don't look so bummed," said Irma. "I'm stuck looking after President Delfina."

"You at least have her royal guards looking after her as well," said Luan. "If I'm put on babysitting duties with Brodie, I'm actually going to have to babysit him."

"I wouldn't stress it," said Ji-hun. "Brodie Noble has similar interests as Dependency. I doubt they would try to harm him."

"Even more reason not to be happy with my job. I'm going to be far away from the action."

"Enough," said Esme. "There's a serious threat to today's event. We have intel that Dependency could attack. I need everyone on high alert."

"I know. Sorry for the push back," said Luan as he turned to look outside at Brodie. "I just can't believe he picked today of all days to protest here."

"Are we sure that man isn't part of Dependency?" asked Leonie.

"There's nothing we can find connecting the two," said Esme. "But his protest today is convenient."

"If there is an attack, maybe I should take the opportunity to take him out as well," said Luan. "Blame it on Dependency."

"Don't even joke about that."

Luan turned to face his squadmates. "You have to admit, that man has caused our reign a lot of difficulty."

"Maybe, but it's part of the territory."

There was a knock at the door.

"Yes," called out Esme.

The door opened and Aracely entered. "Delfina is ready."

Kara glared at Aracely but she ignored her.

"Alright," said Esme. "Everyone has their orders. Irma, you can go ahead with Aracely."

"Yes ma'am," said Irma as she went to Aracely's side. Aracely gave Esme a nod and the two women left.

"I don't trust that woman," said Kara.

"Today, we are all on the same side," said Esme. "But that doesn't mean we don't watch our backs. Everyone understands that?"

"Yes ma'am," said the rest of the squad. "Then let us go."

****

Luan went to the back of the stage as he watched Brodie Noble give his speech to a crowd that was half supportive, half opposed. Luan crossed his arms and leaned back on the wall of the building as Brodie finished his speech.

"Thank you for your time," he said. A slipper flew towards him as he ducked out of the way. Some of the crowd laughed as he played it off and got off stage.