Chapter 33

THE LUKA URBAN ESTATE ATTACKED BY DEPENDENCY.

By L.M.Taurus

9/30/0028 UWC

15 hours before headline

Luka was in his workshop as he finished building his version of an arm-cannon. "It's done," he said.

"Let me see," said Arlo, walking up behind Luka.

"It's just a prototype," said Luka as Arlo took it off his hands. "It's not going to work for everyone."

"Who will it work for?"

"Us two," answered Luka as Arlo tried to strap the arm-cannon on. Luka pushed Arlo's arm away. "Careful where you aim that."

Arlo saw a target at the end of the hall and aimed at it. He blasted the cannon and his arm flew back, causing him to fall on his butt. The blast took out the target and the wall behind it. "This thing has quite a kick to it."

"It's meant to be used outside," said Luka, who had his arms crossed.

Arlo pulled the arm-cannon off his arm. "Then why do you have a target in your workshop?"

"That was a movie poster of Robin Hood."

Arlo got on his feet. "Oops," he handed the arm-cannon back to Luka. "Sorry about that."

"You're going to pay for the renovations."

"Yeah, I got you covered."

"What are you boys doing?" asked Julia, who stood at the doorway.

"Arlo got a little ahead of himself," said Luka as he set the arm-cannon on the workbench.

Julia went to the hole on the wall. "The arm-cannon did this?"

"You told her about the arm-cannon?" whispered Arlo. "And why is she here. You should have sent her away today."

"I can protect her," whispered Luka.

"What are you two whispering about?" asked Julia.

"I was just wondering why a civilian knows military secrets," said Arlo.

"Yeah, there's little Luka can hide from me," said Julia as she walked over to Luka and gave him a kiss on the cheek. She grabbed the arm-cannon. "Can I give it a shot?"

"Absolutely not," said Arlo as he took the arm-cannon away. "You shouldn't even know this exists."

The doorbell rang. "Are we expecting someone today?" asked Julia.

"I don't think so," said Luka. "Put the arm in the vault over there," he said as he pointed under the workbench and walked inside his house. Julia followed him. "Stay back."

"Why?" asked Julia. "Is there something wrong?"

"I'm not sure," said Luka as they reached the entrance. "Cairo was attacked. I don't want this to be something similar."

Julia stayed behind as Luka looked through the peephole. Arlo joined them after he secured the arm-cannon.

"Shit," said Luka as he pulled away.

"Should I get my armor?" asked Arlo.

"No," said Luka as he opened the door. "What are you doing here?" he asked his ex, Ruby Patel.

"Is that how you greet me now," she said as she entered the house. She saw Arlo and Julia in the back. "Hello Prince Arlo."

"Ruby," he replied.