Chapter 17

DEPENDENCY STRIKES AGAIN, LED BY LIN CRESPO.

By L.M.Taurus

5/11/0027 UWC

9 hours before headline

Leonie read a letter from Esme. She told her about the incident that happened in Canada. Leonie first read about the incident in the United Global. The newspaper had no mention of Luan's injury. Esme had kept his injury a secret from the paper.

Luan seemed to be recovering in one of the world military's hospitals. Leonie wanted to go visit him, but Esme ordered her to stay in Haiti. Leonie had been left in charge of taking care of the recovery of Haiti.

Haiti had made a lot of progress in the past couple of months.

Leonie put the letter down and made her way outside. She stood outside and under the sun, enjoying the Caribbean air. "This place is beautiful," she said.

"I completely agree," said Calixte, who stood across from Leonie with her two friends, Allegra and Lovelie. They were the girls who were saved by Kara and Irma during the hurricane. The three girls had volunteered to help rebuild Haiti and have been working under Leonie for the past couple of months.

"Good morning, girls," said Leonie.

"Good morning, Ms. Kaiser," said the girls in unison.

"Has there been any news when the next shipment of supplies is supposed to arrive?" asked Leonie.

"That's the reason why we're here," said Calixte. "They're arriving any minute now. We figured you would want to be there when it does."

"You are correct," said Leonie as she walked between them. "Let's go. One of you can drive me."

"Yes ma'am," said Allegra who took the lead.

The four girls got in a howler and Allegra drove them to the port. At the port they could see two airships flying in the distance.

"That's probably our shipment," said Leonie as she got out of the howler.

"What about the other airship?" asked Calixte.

"I'm not sure. Let's see if Jenniflore knows anything about it." Leonie led the girls to Jenniflore.

Jenniflore stood at the edge of the port with another woman. The two women turned around when they noticed Leonie and the girls approaching. "Morning Ms. Kaiser," said Jenniflore. "I see the girls told you about the shipment."

"They did," said Leonie. "I hope they've been a good help."

"They've been a great help. Everyone loves them. Especially the men." Calixte and her friends blushed. "They've been great for morale," said Jenniflore.

Leonie looked back at the girls. "I hope none of the boys have gotten handsy with any of you."

"Ha," said Jenniflore. "One tried. Calixte quickly made him regret it."

"Is that so?" said Leonie, looking at Calixte. The girl gave Leonie a nod as she held her head down.

"Calixte seems to be quite the capable fighter," said Jenniflore. "We were very impressed."

"Now that's something I would have liked to see," said Leonie.

"How rude of me," said Jenniflore as she remembered something. "Let me introduce you to my friend, Beatrice. She has been helping us around the camp. Beatrice is what you would call a jack of all trades. She can cook, heal, and even get her hands dirty with the heavy equipment. I've seen her fix one of our old howlers."