Chapter 4

THE PRINCESS OF FRANCE LEADS BY EXAMPLE AS SHE WELCOMES HAITIAN REFUGEES.

By L.M.Taurus

4/26/0026UWC

16 hours before headline

Irma Fountain stood on the edge of an airship as it flew over the island of Haiti. There was so much destruction. The place resembled an ancient ruin. The people of this country have lost their homes and now would have to rebuild. It was going to be a long journey to recovery but she would make sure the people of Haiti wouldn't do it alone.

She went back inside of the airship and to the captain's deck where she found a handful of crewmen and her captain, Esme Cyr.

"How's it look out there?" asked Esme.

"Like Haiti lost a battle to nature," answered Irma.

"Humanity has been losing its battle against nature from the start," said Esme. "Can they recover?"

"Humanity always seems to recover, but it's going to take a long time and a lot of help." Irma went to stand next to Esme. "What's the plan? I don't think most of these people are going to be able to stay here."

"You really think so?"

"I know so. There's not enough shelter for the amount of people we have. We're going to have to find places to take them."

"I think I'm going to call our whole squad here. Maybe we can help out more together."

"I'm not sure about that," said Irma. "Are you sure they're not needed elsewhere? There's already five of us here."

"I feel like I can use the help."

"I'm sure between the five of us, we can figure out something. We just need to regroup."

"Fine, but I'm going to send a message to our squadmates to be on standby," said Esme as she jotted something down on a notepad and then ripped it out. She turned to the ship's captain. "Take us back to base and make sure you send this letter out to the other world military leaders."

"Yes ma'am," said the ship's captain as he turned the airship around.

It didn't take long for Irma and Esme to be back on land and surrounded by the Haitian people looking for help. Irma and Esme couldn't do much but hand them the rations that they had in hand.

"Don't worry," said Irma in French. "We will help you."

Irma and Esme continued their way to headquarters. Inside they found Kara shouting out orders to the soldiers. She stopped when she saw Esme and Irma approaching.

"How bad is it?" asked Kara.

"The entire island is destroyed," answered Esme. "It's going to take forever to rebuild. I don't know what to do with the people in the meantime. We're going to need help."

"That's why we're here."

"I'm thinking about calling the others for help. Maybe have an all hands on deck here."

"You really think that's necessary?"

"I'm not sure what to do? Fighting criminals is one thing. Dealing with the aftermath of a natural disaster is another. Where is Leonie and Celeste?"

"Leonie is helping with the people who were injured. I think Celeste is just hanging out somewhere."

"In the building?" asked Esme.

"Most likely. I think she's ready to depart on her next mission."

"This place is the mission."

"She probably thinks she's done what she can here. Plus, she's kinda dealing with something else."

"What else?"

"Not my place to say, but I do think she's done what she can for this situation. She's our other scout. She should be out on more covert missions."

"You don't need to call for help," said Irma. "Not from the other world military leaders. I have an idea on what to do here."

"What's that?" asked Esme.

"Can I see your notepad?" asked Irma, putting out her hand. Esme gave her the notepad and Irma wrote something on it then gave it back to her. "What do you think?"

Esme read the note. "This is something. You think your family will agree?"

"Yes, plus my people owe the Haitians one. Sucks that we don't have electricity on this side of the world. This could go more quickly if we did."

"I think this way of living could become the new normal around the world," said Kara. "Scientists are saying this side of the Earth has been healing after it's loss of electricity."

Irma looked out the window and towards the port where the airships were. "To be honest, I wouldn't mind if the whole world would follow suit. I do like airships."

"That's a conversation for another day," said Esme. "Are you sure this is going to happen?" She waved the notepad at her.

"I'm positive," answered Irma. "Matter of fact, we can start now. Let's fill one of the airships with the people who lost their homes and I'll return with them to France. I'll announce to the world that France is taking in refugees. Hopefully the rest of the world will follow suit."

"Alright princess," said Esme. "I'm counting on you."

"I won't let you down, captain."

****

Irma arrived in France and walked off the airship alongside some Haitian refugees. Among the Haitian refugees were the girls she personally saved at the river, Calixte and her friends.

There was a camera crew waiting as they arrived. While Irma didn't ask her parents for permission to bring in refugees to the country, she did warn by letter that they were coming. The camera crew being here must have meant that her parents approved and sent them there to get the word out.

A news reporter came up to Irma. "Princess Irma, is it true France will be providing homes to the Haitian refugees?" She shoved the mic into Irma's face.

Irma had a smile on her face the moment she walked off the ship. Even with the mic shoved in her face, she didn't break that smile. She wore her world military leader armor and seemed elegant as she stood in front of the cameras.

Calixte and her friends stood behind Irma and were intimidated by all the lights and cameras. They stayed close to Irma which made her look tall, strong and like a leader in front of the world.

"First of all," said Irma. "Above everything else I'm a world military leader first. But my power as a princess also allowed me to do this." She looked directly at the cameras. "After Haiti suffered their devastating fate to hurricane Mitch, they were left without a home. France will be taking in Haitian refugees and providing them with homes while the world military rebuilds their country."