Chapter 47

THE TRUE STORY: PART 1

By L.M.Taurus

7/8/0029 UWC

3 days after headline

Irma, Cairo, Luan and Yelena stood amongst the crowd gathered outside of Lillian's estate as they're comrades had their meeting. Reporters tried to interview them but the world military leaders kept their distance.

Irma had her sights to the distance while Yelena kept looking back at the estate.

"How do you think things are going inside?" asked Yelena.

"I can't imagine they're going as planned considering all the reporters we weren't expecting," answered Irma.

"Does something feel off about some of the people gathered here?" asked Cairo.

"Like what?" asked Luan.

"Like some of them don't belong."

"Who exactly?" asked Yelena.

"Like them," said Cairo, pointing at a small group of brown people gathered with the crowd of Haitians.

"Fans of Delfina I'm assuming," said Luan. "There are way too many people for my comfort though."

"Everything okay, Irma?" asked Yelena. "You've been extra quiet."

"I think Cairo is right," said Irma. "There's something off here. I think something is about to go down."

"Why?"

"There's movement in the forest across the street. Some of the people in the crowd in front of us seem to be on edge as well. That includes some of the soldiers."

Yelena, Cairo and Luan observed everything Irma said, confirming her suspicions.

"Who do you think is behind this?" asked Yelena.

"I honestly don't trust anyone here other than us," said Irma.

"They all can't be in on it," said Cairo.

"Just prepare yourselves," said Irma as she held her dagger. "Something is coming soon."

"I should warn the others," said Yelena.

"Go," said Irma, bringing up her rifle and aiming it at the forest.

Yelena ran inside while Cairo and Luan stood with Irma. A soldier noticed what Irma was doing and looked in the area she was aiming. Three cannon blasts came from the forest and hit the top of the estate.

Irma fired her rifle, but she couldn't tell if she hit her target. The soldiers all brought out their clubs and swords as they turned to the forest. The reporters and civilians scattered in all directions in a panic. Some tried to run onto the estate, but the soldiers did their best to hold them back.

Irma tried to find where the cannon blasts came from, but she couldn't see them in the forest. Cairo and Luan watched as the soldiers struggled to keep the civilians back. Luan caught sight of a civilian stabbing a soldier with a dagger. No one else noticed this due to all the chaos.

"Some of the civilians have weapons," yelled Luan to the soldiers. "Be careful."

"That was a bad idea," said Cairo as some of the soldiers started swinging their weapons at the civilians.

"Shit," said Luan when he realized what he did. "I just wanted them to be careful."

Irma spotted another civilian stabbing one of the soldiers. She fired her rifle at the civilian, hitting him in the leg. The soldiers started clubbing the man down. "Don't kill them!" yelled Irma. "We need to find out who they're working for."