Chapter 24

CAIRO ZAKARIA INTRODUCES A NEW SQUAD TASKED WITH BRINGING DOWN DEPENDENCY.

By L.M.Taurus

1/1/0028 UWC

5 hours before headline

It was an hour till New Years and Cairo and a squad of twelve new recruits were around the corner of an apartment complex. They all had their world military armors on and were ready for a fight. They could hear music coming from the apartment building.

Jacmel Saint was at Cairo's back, wearing a spartan captain armor, meaning he was the captain of the squad. Behind Jacmel was Renz, who was recommended for the squad by Ji-hun and wore a strategist armor with the letter V on its chest plate identifying him as the vice captain of the squad.

Cairo took a peek out at the back of the apartment building. There were two guys hanging outside. It was hard to tell if they were lookouts for Dependency. "What do you think?" Cairo asked Jacmel.

Jacmel took a quick look at the two guys. "I think if those guys don't move soon, we're going to have to take them out."

"What if they're just civilians?" Cairo tested Jacmel.

"They're still risking our operation," answered Jacmel. "I say we take them down with non lethal force."

Cairo took a step back. "Alright, give the order."

Jacmel pulled out a cloak from his armor. "Bessy," he called down to his squad.

A young woman wearing a spartan armor came up to the group. "Yes," she said.

"You're up," said Jacmel, offering her the cloak. "I need you to take those two out," he said as he pointed at the two guys at the entrance of the apartment building. "Non lethal force. They might be civilians. Use your feminine wiles on them."

Bessy put the cloak over her armor and let her hair down. "Knock them out or lead them away?"

"I'll let you decide," said Jacmel.

"If you can lead them away, do it," said Cairo.

Bessy gave them a nod as she casually walked towards the guys. "Hey guys," she said with a wave. "Can any of you young men show me a good time?"

Cairo and the group watched as she talked to the guys, no longer able to hear them from their position. They watched as she struck one of the men in the balls, and hit the other with her club.

"Ouch," said Renz as he held his own groin.

"Let's move," said Cairo.

The squad rushed to the entrance and two members grabbed the unconscious men and dragged them inside the building. Everyone followed them inside as they set the men down under the stairs. The unconscious men looked like they were sleeping.

The squad all stared at Bessy. "What?" she said. "You told me I could knock them out if I couldn't get them to move. I offered them a good time somewhere else and they declined. They definitely weren't moving."

"The girl has a point," said Jacmel.

"We need to get to the top floor," said Cairo. "Send a scout."

"Chano," called Jacmel and a tall lanky soldier wearing a scout's armor took a step forward. "Your turn to shine, brother. Rush up there and confirm Dependency is there. Block any of their escape."

Chano left without saying a word. He moved up the stairs four steps at a time. Cairo and the squad followed but at a much slower pace. The squad was halfway up the stairs when a man fell down the stairwell.

The squad looked up and saw Chano face looking down at them. The squad didn't say a word as they rushed up. They reached the top floor and found Chano sitting outside of the apartment's door. They could hear music playing from the other side.

"No one has been in or out," said Chano as he stood up.

The squad stood by the door, waiting for the order to enter. "Move," said Cairo, breaking inside of the apartment. The squad brought out their weapons. "Everyone on the ground and no one gets hurt!" yelled Cairo.

Most of the men went down. Some needed a bit more encouragement as the soldiers put their clubs on the people's shoulders. It seemed everyone had surrendered until a man wearing an Agent of Dependency mask came out of one of the bedrooms with a sword in his hands.

Jacmel went forward and gave the Agent of Dependence a tremendous combination of strikes with his club. The Agent of Dependency went down with a thud.

Cairo went over to the Agent and checked his pulse. "Good, he's still alive," said Cairo. He looked around the room and everyone had surrendered. "Round them up. We're done here."

The police arrived on the scene and took in all the members of Dependency. Reporters also arrived and Cairo went to talk to them alongside Jacmel, Renz, Bessy and Chano.

"How did you know Dependency was going to be here tonight?" asked Lois.

"We got an anonymous tip that they would be celebrating the New Year at this location," answered Cairo.

"And who are these men working with you today?"

Cairo put a hand on Jacmel's shoulder. "Let me just say I have high hopes for this man, but I'll let him introduce himself." Cairo noticed a howler pull up and went to it, leaving Jacmel and his men with the reporters.

Esme got out of the howler as Cairo approached. "Seems like you guys did a good job."

"The team did a good job," said Cairo.

Esme saw the police taking the Agent of Dependency. "And him?"

"My honest opinion, a low level goon. I don't think he knows much. Just had a mask, no armor."

The clock hit midnight and they turned to see Jacmel and his men celebrating with the reporters. "They seem likable," said Esme.

"Jacmel has that effect on people." He turned to look at Esme. "Happy New Year, boss."

Esme embraced Cairo in a hug. "Happy New Year, Cairo."