Chapter 44

DEPENDENCY ON THE RUN AFTER LOSING A BASE

By L.M.Taurus

6/12/0029 UWC

2 days before headline

Lete snuck up to a room at the far side of an underground facility. She tried to open the door but it was locked. She pulled a lock pick from her hair and unlocked the door. She entered and found Julia sleeping.

Lete gave her a tap on the shoulder. Julia woke and Lete put a hand over her mouth. Lete put a finger on her own lips so she would know to be quiet.

"What are you doing?" whispered Julia.

"I'm getting you out of here."

"Why?"

"Because I know you don't want to be here," said Lete as she looked over her shoulder.

"Do I know you?" asked Julia.

"Not really. Let's move."

Lete led Julia out of the room. They sneaked through the halls and made it to a storage room. Lete closed the door behind them. Lete used a chair to climb on top of it and pushed the ceiling open. She pulled a suitcase from the ceiling.

"What are you doing?" asked Julia.

"Taking this with us," said Lete as she hopped off the chair.

"Is that?" Julia hesitated to ask.

"It's the arm-cannon you stole," said Lete, observing Julia's demeanor. "We got lucky the world military got Lin Crespo before he could study this."

"What are you planning to do with that?"

"I'm returning it to its rightful owner."

"I'm confused. Aren't you part of Dependency?"

"Are you?"

"No, I'm only here because I was blackmailed by your partner. I thought they were going to kill me, but I think your partner is planning to keep using me against Luka."

"That's why they've kept you locked up in that room."

"Are you betraying Dependency?"

"Can't betray something I was never part of," said Lete as she got behind Julia.

Julia looked at the armor Lete wore. "Are you a con artist?"

Lete snorted. "Never thought about it in that way. I guess I sorta am. Alright follow me."

Lete and Julia went back into the halls and made their way to a back door that led outside. Lete opened the door and was surprised to bump into the skinny Agent of Dependency who was wearing his mask.

"Hey Lete," said the Agent. "Where do you think you're taking my prisoner?"

Julia grabbed onto Lete's back, using her as a shield. Lete and the skinny Agent aimed their arm-cannons at each other.

"Not so fast," said the Agent. "That isn't going to be necessary."

"Then get out of my way," said Lete.

The Agent laughed. "You still haven't figured it out."

"Figured what out?"

The Agent took his mask off and Lete was shocked to see it was Armek wearing the Agent of Dependency armor.

"What the fuck, Armek?" said Lete. "You're part of Dependency?"

"You two know each other?" whispered Julia.

"Not part of Dependency," said Armek. "I infiltrated them just like you, babe."

"You two are a couple?" asked Julia.

"We're husband and wife."

"Ex-husband and wife," corrected Lete.

"Don't be like that. I think we make a perfect team."

"A team? We're not a team. I don't know what you're doing, but you're going to jail."

"Jail? For what? I did exactly what you did. We've both killed for a cause we really didn't belong to."

"I didn't kill anyone."

"Are you sure about that? Because I have proof you did. The female Agent of Dependency who terrorize people all around the world. I wonder how the people will react when they find out."

"So you're getting revenge because I divorced you?"

"This isn't revenge. This is me winning you back."

"Excuse me?"

"I want you back. I've proved I'm worthy to be your partner. I can do everything you can."

Lete and Julia stared at Armek as if he was crazy.

"Imagine us working together," said Armek. "Taking down evil organizations all over the world from the inside. We'd be legendary."

"And if I say no you'll tell the world what I did?" asked Lete.

"He's blackmailing you like he did me," said Julia.

"Why would you say no? Don't you love me?"

"I'm not taking you back, Armek," said Lete. "Our relationship ended a long time ago. I don't know why you don't understand that."

Armek had a heartbroken look on his face as his shoulders slouched.

"I'm leaving," said Lete as she and Julia walked around him. "I recommend you do the same." Lete and Julia got a couple of feet away from Armek when he turned around.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" said Armek.

"What's that?" asked Lete.

"You can't leave this place standing," said Armek as he looked at the Dependency hideout. He aimed his arm-cannon at a gas tank and fired.

Lete used her body to shield Julia as the explosion sent them flying back. It took a minute for Lete to recover. She leaned up and looked at Julia. "Are you okay?"

"I think I hurt my leg," said Julia as she rubbed her ankle.

"Stay here," said Lete as she stood up.

Lete looked for Armek but couldn't see where he landed. She watched as the building got engulfed in flames. She could hear voices inside and the Dependency men trying to escape.

"We should go," said Lete as she turned around and found Armek standing over Julia, his arm-cannon aimed at her. "Armek, what are you doing?"

"I'm not going to tell anyone what you did," said Armek, keeping his eyes on Julia. "I love you too much to do that to you." He looked up at Lete. "I'll keep your secret, but," He returned his sights to Julia. "She knows too much."

Lete fired her arm-cannon and Julia screamed. Armek fell back, a hole in his chest. Lete ran to Armek while Julia crawled away. Lete held Armek's head on her knees.

"You shot me," he said, spitting out blood. "Why did you shoot me?" Armek was crying and so was Lete. "I was trying to protect you."

"I couldn't let you kill her," said Lete. "She was innocent in all this."

"None of us are innocent," were Armek's last words.

Lete heard voices nearing and laid Armek's head on the ground. Lete went over to Julia and helped her up. "We need to get out of here." Lete put Julia's arm over her shoulders and they limped into the forest.

"Thank you for saving my life," said Julia as they continued to get deeper in the forest. "Who are you exactly?"

"I'm Celeste Flores. Luka's squadmate."

Celeste and Julia were struck in the back of their heads and knocked out.