Toxic past

A/n: This one is a little different than the others, I just wanted to try it. It's a little long but the end is fluff so it's not intense all the time.

TW: yelling, fighting, toxic/abusive relationship

Pov y/n

It's Friday night and Nat and I are in a bar. Of course we have one at the compound but we didn't want to listen to Tony, bragging about some new update he added to his suit or Thor's and Loki's constant fighting over mostly nothing or the last pop tart.
So we decided to go out and spend some time without them. 

We got a table in a corner where the music isn't too loud and we can still talk without having to yell at each other.
It's my turn to get new drinks because Nat got the first round.
I make my way to the bar, sneaking in between dancing couples and trying not to disturb them.
As I reach the bar, I lean onto it, waiting for the bartender to finish the order he mixes currently.

I hum the melody of the song that's playing and bop my head a little in the rhythm. The bartender finishes and comes to me, taking my order.
It's fun watching him mix the drinks because he pulls of a little show, knowing that I'm watching him.
He puts the drinks in front of me and winks at me as I pay. I playfully chuckle.
A tap on my shoulder makes me turn around.

"I thought I noticed you."
Blue eyes look into my y/e/c ones and I'm a little startled.
"Hey, Leyla." I greet, shaking off my surprise and smiling kindly at the blond woman in front of me.
"Long time no see. How have you been?" She leans against the bar and looks at me, waiting for a response. Her expression is relaxed and she smiles a bit.
"I've been good. How about you?" I ask back, getting a little bit uncomfortable now.
It's weird, running into my ex-girlfriend after we broke up two years ago and never talked ever since.

"I'm great. I got promoted at work last week."
"Congratulations."
I keep my reply short, just wanting to go back to Nat. As I move to grab the two glasses from the bar, Leyla seems to notice them.
"You're here with someone?"
I let out an inner sigh and nod, not wanting to get into it any further but she has other plans.

"A date? Or a partner?"
She narrows her eyes a little at me and I shift a little, not feeling comfortable at all.
She was always jealous in our relationship, regardless who it was.
"I'm here with my girlfriend and I would really like to go back to her now."
Again I reach for the glasses but she grabs my wrist and I look at her.
"How long have you guys been together?"
As much as I want to stay quiet, her eyes intimidate me and I bite my lip a little.
"About one and a half years."
"So shortly after we broke up?"
Her voice grows slightly louder and I know she's getting upset. 

She was very sad and angry when I broke up with her two years ago because she didn't understand my reasons.
For her everything was perfect but it wasn't for me. It took me a while but I noticed the ways she treated me in certain situations and they were toxic and my mental health suffered from it.
So I broke up with her. Took me some time to build up enough courage but I felt free afterwards and more positive. 

"I just hope you won't pull the same shit as you did with me." She sounds angry and I look into her eyes that don't show any kindness anymore.
"You were the one treating me like I wasn't valid."
"Bullshit. I was always there for you, you just refused to communicate! It's not my fault you weren't able to talk to me!"
I huff and try to free my wrist from her grip but it just tightens.
"Maybe because every time I talked to you about my feelings, it turned into an argument and you started blaming me for everything I felt was wrong. You didn't even once consider it being partly or fully your fault."
She shakes her head, coming a little closer to me.

"Because it wasn't my fault. Your behavior was childish and dumb and you could have said sooner that you felt neglected!"
"I couldn't because I needed time to sort my thoughts and to know what I wanted you to know."
"If you said something sooner and would have communicated properly, it wouldn't have come so far!"
I let out a dry laugh, trying to ignore the knot that starts building up in my throat. "Communication only was a problem when I didn't want to talk. But all the times you pushed me away and refused to talk to me, were never a problem."