Street race

TW: minor injuriy, shortly a little violence

Pov Nat

The ringing of my phone pulls me out of my work and I lay the pen on the papers in front of me.
I look at the phone.

Incoming call from: Cuddle bug <3
A little smile appears on my face and I take the call.

"Hey baby." I greet her, leaning back in my chair.
"Hey Tasha." She replies but her voice sounds different and I frown.
"What's up?" I ask. Usually she doesn't call me when I'm working but she went to the store earlier so maybe she just wants to check if we need something else.

"Uhm, I got in trouble." Y/n admits and without seeing her, I know that she's biting her lip. It's a habit whenever she confesses something. Normally she isn't a trouble maker but there are times where she just slips into it without meaning to.

"Where are you? What do you need?" I ask, worry coating my voice.
"Well, I need you and a good car." She answers, her voice careful to not upset me. I'm more than confused and lean forward. What did she do that she needs a car?
"Why? What happened, baby?" I investigate further and get up. Work has to wait right now, my girlfriend is more important.

"I may have gotten myself into a street race..." She drops the information and I stop in my tracks and stare at my phone. How did she get into a street race? And why?
I run a hand down my face and hurry up to the garage. At least I know now what kind of car she needs. Luckily Tony has a lot of great cars that will fulfill their purpose in a race.

"Are you okay? Did they hurt you or anything?" I ask, connecting my phone to the car's speakers and close the door.
"I'm good. No, they didn't..." Guilt fills her voice and I shake my head at the situation and ask for the address. She gives it to me and I start to drive.

I ask her to stay on the phone with me because I'm a little worried she got into a circle of people who might harm her.
Sometimes I wish I could just glue her to my side to always be able to protect her but that's not possible. She needs her space and is allowed to be her own person. But I love her with my whole heart and thinking about someone hurting her, makes my heart clench.

During the ride, I hear her move around but it doesn't sound like she's in any danger which makes me calm down.

Within fifteen minutes I'm there and see four other cars standing on an empty parking lot of an old racing track. One of them being the one that y/n takes when she has errands to run.
I pull up next to her and turn the car of and get out.
There are some people hanging around, some shoot me a look, others don't. What did she get herself into?

My eyes shortly dart over the cars and I can tell they are tuned and built for speed but nothing that my car can't compete with. A whistle from a guy catches my attention and I turn my head. But he doesn't look at me, he looks at my car.

I turn back to y/n's and knock on the window. She jumps slightly before getting out.
When I see her face, I gasp and feel blood starting to boil. She has a black eye that looks hurtful.
I pull her into a hug which she returns instantly and her muscles relax slightly under my touch.

After I pull away, I take her face in my hands and scan it. There doesn't seem to be any other sign of harm. My index finger carefully traces the outline of the bruise and I clench my jaw. Who ever did that will deeply regret it.
Her eyes are filled with guilt and she mumbles a silent "I'm sorry."

I sigh a little and kiss her lips softly to show her it's okay. Not wanting to have a conversation with everyone being able to hear us, I pull her towards my car and open the door for the backseat for her. We both slip in and I turn to look at her.