Long-distance relationship

Pov y/n

My phone lights up and shows me an incoming call from "cutest assassin".
I instantly take the call and the face of my beautiful girlfriend fills my screen. Without realizing it, I smile widely at her.
"Hey, baby." She greets with a soft smile.
"Hey, how are you?" I reply and lean back on my desk chair as I was currently doing some paperwork.
"A little exhausted but good. How about you?"
"I'm good, a little tired from training but good."

"How was your day, my angel?" She asks and I blush a little at the nickname.
She loves to come up with new ones because they make me blush and give me little butterflies at first.
Somehow she still finds new ones, even tough we've been dating for about a year and a half now.
Nat literally is the sweetest person on earth when we're alone. She will call me cute names, hug me all the time and loves to cuddle and play with my hair.
When we're around other people, especially the other Avengers, she is tougher.
Not in a way that she doesn't show me affection any more, she's just more subtle doing it.
Partly because the others would tease her forever and because it would kind of ruin her badass image.

I don't really mind because I know how much she loves being an Avenger and the image of a cute, cuddly assassin isn't really dangerous.
Knowing, she is all cute, when we're alone, is enough for me.
She still shows me her love in little things like always holding my hand when possible and placing little kisses on my hair and stuff like that.
She is also very protective and a little possessive over me when we're around others.
Of course she has enemies and is worried that I might get hurt and I honestly like her little possessive side, it's hot and cute at the same time.

When we're outside, she always holds me close or places her hands around my waist or on my shoulders to show everyone I'm with her.
But all of this is not possible right now, sadly.
We're in a long-distance relationship at the moment because she has a long-term mission right now.
I don't really know what she is doing because it's all confidential and she isn't allowed to tell me. But I assume it's something where she needs to watch a person and build up some contact and trust to get some information.
That would at least explain why she has to stay away this long.

It's been two months since we last saw each other in person and said goodbye before she had to leave.
Right now we don't know how long her stay will be but I hope not that much longer because I miss her deeply.
I miss everything about her, her smell, the way she smiles, how she gets excited over her favorite dinner, how her fingers feel in my hair when she brushes and braids it, her laugh, her hugs, her cuddles and her kisses.
Of course I see her smile, when we video chat, like we do now but it's just different.

I tell her about my day in every single detail and get a little lost in my narration but it doesn't bother her at all, she loves hearing me talk and telling her every little thing.
At first I didn't believe her but she assured me like a thousand times and I believed her eventually.
While I tell her, I get up and sit on my bed, leaning against the headboard and propping a pillow under my arm.

"And how is your mission going?" I end my story about my day.
"Good. Sadly we still aren't sure when I'll be back. Maybe two months or three or even longer."
I frown and she pouts a little.
"Don't be sad, baby. We will see each other again soon." She tries to cheer me up but it doesn't really work.
"Three months are a really long timeee." I whine a little.
She sighs and nods.
"I know, my love. But please don't pout, we will make it work, I promise."
I nod and have to fight the feeling of my throat tightening and my eyes getting teary.
Just thinking about it, makes my heart ache.
"Don't cry, baby. We will keep our routines up and time will fly by faster than you think." Nat says in a soft voice and I take a deep breath, getting ahold of the tears.

"You're right. We can do this." I agree and she smiles a little at me.
"So, what do you wanna watch tonight?" She asks and I think a little about her question.
We've been video chatting every night since she left and I always look forward to it. If it fits, we also try to watch something together.
"How about...Friends?"
Her smile grows as she nods.
"I love it."
Her picture shakes a little bit as she moves around in her apartment and gets into bed, her laptop in front of her.
"Give me a few minutes to get ready. I still need to change and brush my teeth."

"Take me with you."
I don't have to look at the screen to know she's smirking right now.
"In your dreams, Romanoff. I won't change in front of my phone, who knows who may have hacked my phone."
She laughs and I scrunch my nose up, adoring her laugh.
I quickly change and lay in bed, the laptop placed on my legs and the phone propped up on a pillow.
We both open Netflix and I open an additional program that allows us to watch it together.
After I send Nat the link, we start watching where we left of.

We laugh together and occasionally stop the episode to talk about something that just happened.
I cherish these nights so much because it almost feels as if she was with me and I feel a little bit less sad.
Since I've already watched Friends multiple times because it's one of my favorite shows, I watch Nat.
She looks so happy when she laughs and it melts my heart, seeing her like this.
It makes me genuinely happy that she enjoys this show so much and I remember how she suggested that we could watch it together after I talked about it in the beginning of our relationship.
In that moment, my heart almost exploded out of happiness because she cares so much about me that she wants to know my favorite shows and wants to watch them with me.

I never had anyone do that for me and it means so much to me.
We also started watching her favorite show and I got obsessed and we went back and forth between watching her and my show.
We're still not done with either one because we also love watching movies together.
Every night we try to watch something together, it's kind of a ritual by now.

It gets late and we both close out laptops and put them aside, snuggling into bed.
I cuddle into my blanket and watch her beautiful face on my phone, getting lost in her eyes.
"Baby?" Her voice pulls me back into reality.
"Hm?"
"I asked what you're thinking about?" She chuckles lightly and I hide my face in the pillow a little.
"I was thinking about how beautiful you are and how much I love you."
The pillow muffles my voice but she still heard it and smiles.

"I love you too, more than anything else in this world and I wish I could hold you in my arms right now." She lets out a little sigh and I nod.
"Me too."
"Soon, we will get to do it again." She sounds hopeful and I smile, looking forward to it.
We talk for a little while longer, before my eyelids get heavier and I mumble a "good night", hearing her returning it, before I cuddle my pillow, imagining it's her and drift off to sleep.
Long distance surely sucks but somehow we make it work.