Chapter 48

Kabir's pov

Almost one year later -Udaipur- Rajasthan-India

It has been almost a year that I'm here in Udaipur but this city seems still new to my eyes. The reason? I don't know. I really don't. Maybe because it's quite immense or maybe because I have no one here. I was living in my worst nightmare. Alone, lost in a big unfamiliar city with a broken heart. The one and only thing that kept me going was my job. I always try to keep myself busy at work as much as I can so I don't start to think about how shity my life has been lately and how I end up from having everything to having just myself.

But today was my day off. After working hard on a fraud case the department was sent on a long two days holiday. I wasn't able to sit around in my new house because I was going crazy by thinking and by doing nothing all day so I decided to do some grocery shopping. I was almost done when I remembered that I forgot to buy lemons. I turned around to go back to the shop when I bumped into someone. "I'm very sor..." And suddenly everything stopped. The air was knocked out of my lungs. My heart...I couldn't feel my heartbeat. Was this really happening or was I daydreaming again? In front of me there was the person I loved. The person I still love. The person I dream about. The person I wish for.

"Kabir."

His voice called me out. I was standing still in the middle of a sidewalk.

"Kabir?"

I opened my mouth but it was dry and nothing came out. Clearing my throat I retried. "Vansh?"

There, just a feet away was Vansh standing. My hand arched to touch him, to hug him, to feel him. But there was a wall separating us. The wall named "past".

In a flash he closed the distance between us and took me in his arms. It was becoming hard to breathe and I didn't know if to blame his tight hold or my heart who was overwhelmed with his closeness.

"Where were you all this time, Kabir?" He breathed into my shoulder.

I stayed still. I couldn't hug him back even though I was dying to do that. I closed my eyes, listening to his heartbeat, smelling his familiar scent, capturing his touch for forever. I never thought this could happen again in this life. So I decided to enjoy the moment when he was still there with me even if it was for the shortest period.

He broke the moment by tilting his head back to meet my eyes but still holding me tight. I couldn't face him. I looked down.

"Kabir. Are you going to answer me?"

Why was he behaving like nothing happened? Did he forget what my mom did to his parents? Was there anything I could say to him? "I...I thought that we had said everything we had to say."

"Oh really? Leaving with a stupid letter? That's what you call talking? Or disappearing without telling where you were going is what you call a closure?"

I knew that it was the worst way to face things but in our case it was the rightest thing to do.

"And you know what I think?" He seemed pissed but with a different cause from what I believed. "I think we need to talk. Like real people do, Kabir."

I dared to glance over his face. He really was angry.

"Well? Do you have a place to take me? Or do you want me to bring you somewhere? Or I am also good at doing it right here, in the middle of a sidewalk as soon as you're ready to talk."

"I don't want..."

"I am not asking what you want, Kabir. I'm telling you what we need to do. So don't give me the speech or any other kind of permission. Just tell me where." I knew that tone very well. The one he used when we first met.