Bruno Madrigal- Son: Part 3 (c)

Encanto One Shot

You had hoped that Bruno would be back before you gave birth but that wasn't going to happen. Your son was born with your two sister-in-laws by your side but without a father anywhere nearby. Even before your son could know what you were saying, you spoke to him fondly of his father, of his bravery and kindness and how much love he would have for the little boy. You didn't know where Bruno had gone, but you didn't have any ill will to him, you knew he wouldn't have left unless he had to, and that wasn't going to get in the way of what he would be to his son.

Your son grew with his family and so much love from everyone. You knew as he neared the age of five that there was going to be more pressure for his gift ceremony than any of the cousins had experienced before to see whether there was still magic within the family, but you weren't going to let that get in the way of his happy childhood. Whether he had a gift or not, you loved him and you weren't willing to let the state of the Encanto be put on his shoulders.

Finally, his gift ceremony came around and everyone was doing their best to make it perfect, and even if your focus was on your son, you made sure to make time for your youngest niece to know that regardless of whether her cousin got a gift, she still mattered in ways that some of the other family forgot to show her.

Everyone spent every waking moment making sure everything was perfect, even the newly pregnant Pepa was making sure her pregnancy hormones weren't going to lead to another hurricane.

You had seen enough of the ceremonies to know how they were expected to go, but you didn't realise how much it hurt to be stood alone at the top of the stairs, unlike Julieta who had Augustín and Pepa who had Félix. You tried to keep a smile on your face as your son walked up the stairs towards you and his abuela who stood holding the candle opposite you on the other side of the door.

Your son gave you one last bright smile before turning to his crouched abuela and touched the candle. As his hand reached out for the doorknob, you felt your heart jump into your throat. All you could think about was how nervous you were for him and yourself, and how you could expect his grandmother to shun you both if he didn't get a gift.

A sense of relief washed over you as his form began to etch onto the door.

"Mamá, stop worrying," your son said, looking up at you.

"What?" You questioned, not knowing why he felt now would be a good time to tell you to stop worrying.

"Abuela doesn't hate you," he stated. "She knows that you are the best mamá that I could ever have."

You exchanged a look with Alma, neither of you quite sure why he was talking about your current concerns.

"What do you mean mijo?"

A toothy smile curled onto his face. "I can hear you both, I can hear everyone, but none of you are speaking."

It took you a second before you let out a shocked, pained laugh. "You can hear our thoughts?"

He nodded his head.

It felt as though the whole room let out a sigh at the same time, relieved that there was another gift in the family.

You felt down onto your knees so that you could cup your sons face in your hands, tears spilling from your eyes.

"I love you so much," you said with a tearful grin. "Your papá would be so proud of you."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.