Only Human: Epilogue

The real hero is always a hero by mistake; he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else.
--Umberto Eco
_________________________________________

It was the next day on Moebius, and everyone was back at Kintobor's tower. Silver had returned to his time after a small word with Sonic. The Freedom Fighters reinstalled the previously stolen Globe Posts. Well, almost everyone was there.

Sitting nearby, Sally, who was holding the remains of Y/n's jacket, and Nicole sat together as they found some comfort in each other's company. They had lost Y/n who had sacrificed himself, someone they had cared about equally.

"Erm... Sally and Nicole, yes?" the two look up to see Kintobor. "I am... sorry for your loss. From what I have heard, you two were rather close to him."

Sally looked up at Kintobor before looking back down. Nicole speaks up for the both of them.

"Thank you, Dr. Kintobor," Nicole tells the Anti-Robotnik. "We both appreciate it."

"You're welcome," Ivo says. "And I believe someone is here to see you two."

The chipmunk and holo-lynx grow confused before footsteps catch their attention. They turn to see Alicia walking up to them.

"Alicia...?" Nicole questions.

"What do you want?" Sally asks her Anti.

"... I am sorry for your loss," Alicia tells the two. "I know how that feels."

Sally looks down at her Anti's hands to see her messing with a ring on her finger.

"Right," she says. "You lost your Y/n, too."

Alicia nods in sadness.

"Even though he was... rough around the edges, he was still human deep down. He cared for us, even if he attacked us at Scourge's order," Alicia states. "He gave me this ring as an apology gift. 'Pretty should be with pretty, right?' he said when he gave it to me. Heheh... He was an insane idiot, but he had a heart. My insane idiot..."

Sally and Nicole look at the Anti-Sally with eyes filled with sadness and sympathy. Then Nicole spoke up.

"I don't think they would want us to fight anymore," she says.

"She's right. It would drag their sacrifice in the dirt," Sally says as she stands up and offers her hand to her Anti. "So for their sake, how about a truce? No more fighting."

Alicia looks down at her doppleganger's hand before she nods and takes it.

"Truce," she says. "For our Y/n's."

Sally nods, determined to make sure Y/n's sacrifice wasn't in vain.

Not too long after, the Globe Posts had been fully reinstalled and activated. Most of the Freedom Fighters have left as Kintobor and Sonic shook hands.

"I can't thank you and your friends enough, Sonic," the doctor tells the hedgehog.

"No sweat, Doc," Sonic assures. "Do you still have him?"

"Yes, and he's still bound," Kintobor states. "He hasn't stirred since you brought him to me last night."

Sally turns to see Amy jumping through the portal. Bunnie and Antoine follow after her, leaving only her, Nicole, and Sonic in that Zone.

"That wraps it up," she says. "Rob was sent home, and we're the last three to go back to Freedom HQ."

"Now... how are we going to break this to everyone else?" Nicole asks with droopy ears.