Part 29: 12 Grimmauld Place

Y/n's POV:
Parts 54-56
TW: One swear word

I side along apparated into a small square park, covered with threes and bushes that was full of blue and white flowers. It was a cute little park that locals would feel safe to walk their dog.

The sun was slowly setting over the trees of the park, giving off a pretty pink and orange glow over the park.

"This is beautiful!" I said to my parents in awe, staring around the pink and orange hue of the park.

"It is very pretty, but come on. Let's go inside." Dad answered as he ushered me out of the park and to a row of tall and dark houses.

Each house stood tall with three, maybe four floors which was surrounded by metal fences. They all stood identical, like tall army of menacing soldiers. I glanced at the road sigh 'Grimmauld Place'.

I scanned though the numbers of the houses but I paused when I noticed something.

8...9...10...11...13...14

"Uhh, there's no number 12." Teddy said, sharing the same confused look as me.

"Yeah, there's number 11 and a 13 and no number 12, what's happening." I asked, looking at both my parents like they have lost their minds.

"Just you both wait." Mum smiled to me and Teddy.

Dad stamped his foot hard on the floor three times, the ground began to shake softly, then the shaking got harder as I saw something emerge between numbers 11 and 13.

It was a house. Another house slowly emerged between the two others. It looked exactly the same as the others but the bricks seemed darker than the rest as though it had been hiding from public. Windows popped out from the frames and a little balcony popped forward, making the little metal fence come up from the ground.

The house which was now number 12 Grimmauld Place, looking identical to the rest of the road. Leaving me and Teddy looking over at the newly revealed house.

"Woah!" I gawked. Starting over at the house.

"Are you coming in then?" Dad asked with a smile. I nodded and dragged my trunk towards the house.

We stepped over the threshold into the almost total darkness of the hall. I could smell damp, dust, and a sweetish, rotting smell; the place had the feeling of a derelict building. I looked over dads shoulder and saw the others filing in behind him, mum and dad carrying mine and Teddy's trunk and our owls cages into the house. Dad was standing on the top step and releasing the balls of light the Put-Outer had stolen from the street- lamps; they flew back to their bulbs and the square beyond glowed momentarily with orange light before we walked inside and closed the front door, so that the darkness in the hall became complete.

I heard a soft hissing noise and then old-fashioned gas lamps sputtered into life all along the walls, casting a flickering insubstantial light over the peeling wallpaper and threadbare carpet of a long, gloomy hallway, where a cobwebby chandelier glimmered over- head and age-blackened portraits hung crooked on the walls. I heard something scuttling behind the baseboard. Both the chandelier and the candelabra on a rickety table nearby were shaped like serpents.

The moth-eaten velvet curtains I had passed had flown apart, but there was no door behind them. For a split second, I thought I was looking through a window, a window behind which an old woman in a black cap was screaming and screaming as though she was being tortured — then I realized it was simply a life-size portrait, but the most realistic, and the most unpleasant, I had ever seen in my life.
The old woman was drooling, her eyes were rolling, the yellowing skin of her face stretched taut as she screamed, and all along the hall behind them, the other portraits awoke and began to yell too, so that I actually screwed up my eyes at the noise and clapped his hands over my ears. Mum and dad darted forward and tried to tug the curtains shut over the old woman, but they would not close and she screeched louder than ever, brandishing clawed hands as though trying to tear at their faces.