The next chapter

I remember the day like it was yesterday.

God do I wish I could turn back time. Maybe some how erase the day from the timeline.

I should have known. I should have guessed that it was what he was doing. It wasn't his fault. It was simply his job.

I guess I should explain.

I had been waiting in a coffee shop. We had been dating for a while...

~

I sat in the coffee shop staring at the empty seat in front of me. It had been past 30 minutes now. He was supposed to be here.

I sigh. It's no use. This is the 5th time Damian has done this. He never gave an exact reason on why he did. Just made up an excuse.

I'm sick of it. I get up and head out of the cafe. Great. It was raining. It's totally setting the mood.

I start heading to walk back to my apartment. Looks like I'm getting sick today.

Suddenly a limo pulls up. I find myself rolling my eyes. Damian steps out of it with an umbrella.

His hair was a mess. He looked... worn out.

"Mari-" He tried to speak but I cut him off.

"Damian, where were you?"

He failed to stutter out his answer. I was holding back tears at this point.

"Damian... I've been waiting for you for more than 30 minutes. This has happened 5 times now. What have you been doing? Am I not important?" I let a few tears fall.

"Angel.... You are very important to me. You know that! I want to explain but-"

"But what?! You give excuse after excuse every time this happens. I'm sick of it!" I cried out.

"I know and I'm sorry, Ang-" Damian started.

"No. Don't call me that. You're not sorry. Just leave." I took in a deep breathe.

"I- Marinette...."

"Leave! I don't want to see your face! We're over, okay? I can't do this right now!" I cried.

"Just-"

"Let you explain? No. I don't even want to know. Leave."

Damian slowly exhaled and ran a hand through his hair. He looked down then looked back up.

"At least let me give you a ride-"

"I said leave." I wasn't having it. He was most likely cheating. Should have guessed it. He is a Wayne after all.

It's just my luck that this would happen to me.

Damian stared at me with a broken gaze before he just turned around and got back in the limo. As he drove away I felt the weight crash down.

I cried the way home....

~

That was the last time I saw him.

It was my fault. Or... at least I feel guilty for it.

If only I had let him explain.

It was only a week later that I got a call from the Wayne family butler....

Damian was dead.

Robin was dead.

Damian was Robin.

He was killed.

Killed by his own mother.

I cried for hours. That's as the reason he had been missing dates.

He was saving the city.

I should have known. Of course the Waynes would be the bats. They have the money.

Maybe if I had known I would have understood why he had to miss out on dates.

Maybe he would be alive.

But as I watch as his casket is lowered into the ground, I can't help but hope this was all a dream. That I will wake up in his arms. That we would be happy. That we would grow old together.

I knew it wouldn't happen. He is gone.

Maybe if I had stayed...we would still be able to write the next chapter of our lives together.

But it's over. All the things I never said, locked into my mind forever... until I see him again.

And so the next chapter of my life starts... but this time, without him.

-

Words- 653